One Fine Acre - 2023 4H Steer Project Update

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
The girls thought that it would be a great gift for my recent birthday to get me a new grill. I have a Cablelas club Visa card and get rewards points, so they thought it would be an even better idea if I let them use my points to get my birthday present. And, they thought it would be an even better idea than that if I let them use the rest of my rewards to get them some stuff too.
I like cooking with charcoal as opposed to gas. This is a Canyon Smoker. See the 1lb propane tank on the right? It is a "propane assisted" charcoal grill. You use the propane to light the charcoal. It literally gets the charcoal lit in about 3 minutes.

It is an excellent cooking grill.

It took 3 hours to put it together, and I'm pretty good at putting things together.
New Grill.jpg

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Man the grill cooks good:)
And Pggly Wiggly had T bones for $5.89!a lb today
State Fair is next weekend
Started clipping today
Doing the "cool weather"'clip
Feet, legs, bellys, heads, necks and udder
Will post some pics
Breeding is picking up too
Bred 3 so far
Saw gas for $2.93 per gallon today:celebrate

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
The NC State Fair is next weekend, so we are getting the girls ready. It is one of the last ADGA shows of the year, and the weather has obviously turned cooler, so you don't want to do a full show clip on the animals. Some people do, but we don't. We just don't want them to be cold. So, they got a full clip for Mt. State Fair the last week of August. What we do now is just clip their legs and feet, belly's, head and neck, and on the back of their legs frame around their udders. Some of the bushier ones, we may run a 4 blade in the direction of their body hair, but we leave the hair on their bodies.We wait until we get to the show to clip their actual udder tight because it is easier to do when the udder is full.

We don't worry about trying to blend it in. We don't care if the judge can tell what we did. In fact, I want them to. It shows we prepared for the show while looking out for our animals welfare.

Starting to plan now on how to do the udder fill since they are so late into lactation 7 plus months for most. Taffy, Ginger, and Zamia are still giving over a quart per day, Daisy first freshner is only giving about half a quart. We will start to dry them all off starting at the fair. The youth show is Saturday morning, so Daisy will definitely not get milked on Friday. We may not milk any of them on Friday morning. One thing I've learned is you can always take milk out of a full doe, but you can't put any back in. :)

IMG_0546.jpg

IMG_0545.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

IMG_0550.jpg

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maurine's job is going great. Has gotten her first paycheck :weee

But, she is doing very well too. She has already gotten them approved for the EBT Program. She has the information packet for the vendors. She made a big presentation to the parks and rec advisory board last week, and probably the biggest thing is she already has the commitment of 4 vendors. That's pretty good when it won't start until next year. One of them is this very large farmer outside of Zebulon who has his on produce stand. He was dead set against the town doing a farmers market, but I think he may be a little sweet on my wife now. Not only is on board as a vendor, but has agreed to be a platinum sponsor of the market and make $1000 donation. And, he's coming to the trunk or treat Halloween event at the community center to give away apples.

We are getting geared up for the fair. Weather is supposed to be real nice. I've got to pick up the livestock trailer from Maurine's daddy this afternoon. We were going to keep it after the last show, but he needed it to take some calves to the sale. Got to sell some calves to buy hay. He took an older cow to sell, but she layed down in the trailer and wouldn't get up. Couldn't get her out, and they have to be able to walk to sell. He took her back out to the farm and he still couldn't get her out of the trailer. Well, he left the door open on the trailer and he had to go home. Next day she was out of the trailer and walking around like nothing was wrong with her. Maybe she was just smart :)

Last edited:

HoneyDreameMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That's terrific news - please congratulate her for all of us! Good luck at the fair. Be sure to post pics!