One Fine Acre - 2023 4H Steer Project Update

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
He cleans up real nice. I think he needs a little more finish though.

Drake 2.jpg

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
All in all a successful 4H project. Rachel got $2400 for the steer, that covers all of our expenses, and that's with the premium price we paid for him. And, they don't actually "buy" the animal we get to keep him. So, basically we will get a freezer full of beef for free.
Drake.jpg
Drake 5.jpg
Drake 4.jpg

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
So, it turns out Rachel actually got $3,200.00 total, so that's even better. Maurine paid $1800.00 for him back in Sept and had approximatley $800 in feed. So, about $600 "profit" and we still get the steer. He is scheduled to go to the slaughter house in 2 weeks.
The county livestock agent who graded the steers told Maurine he was really nice and she should think about "holding him over" and showing at the State Fair in Oct. No thanks. We will take the bird in the hand. :D =D

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I get where you are coming from and he ought to make a really nice tender beef... but I see where the county agent is coming from because he is still a bit immature and would finish out REAL NICE... shorthorns seem to take a little more time to mature out... there is a guy near here that does shorthorns and they need a little more time for the "finish"..... and with the coming warmer weather he would shed out and really slick up nice.....
Is she going to do another one? Maybe you can get one sooner as I know this was sort of a last minute thing when the one you were going to get didn't work out...
I still like his profile... nice back and not posty in the legs....

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I get where you are coming from and he ought to make a really nice tender beef... but I see where the county agent is coming from because he is still a bit immature and would finish out REAL NICE... shorthorns seem to take a little more time to mature out... there is a guy near here that does shorthorns and they need a little more time for the "finish"..... and with the coming warmer weather he would shed out and really slick up nice.....
Is she going to do another one? Maybe you can get one sooner as I know this was sort of a last minute thing when the one you were going to get didn't work out...
I still like his profile... nice back and not posty in the legs....

For me, the math doesn't make sense. How much would we spend between now and the end of Oct to get this guy up to 1300 lbs?
Rachel is 18 so I don't think she can show at 4H next year.

For reference, this was the grand champion. He weighed 1310lbs There were 14 steers total entered.

Charlois.jpg

Charlois 1.jpg

Last edited:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not impressed with the winner... He had better "finish" , fat layer and all... but not impressed with his sway back or "gut" in either picture. I think your steer had better type.
Good for her trying a different type of animal... and for you both supporting her at it. Besides... it is "sexier" to have a big animal.. cattle... than a small goat :hide..... get to meet more guys that way...:gig
:lol: Hey, she is a pretty young lady......gotta impress those manly young men!!

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not impressed with the winner... He had better "finish" , fat layer and all... but not impressed with his sway back or "gut" in either picture. I think your steer had better type.
Good for her trying a different type of animal... and for you both supporting her at it. Besides... it is "sexier" to have a big animal.. cattle... than a small goat :hide..... get to meet more guys that way...:gig
:lol: Hey, she is a pretty young lady......gotta impress those manly young men!!

I agree. And the reserve grand was even more "gut" than this one.