Herd Master
Reaction score
Drake's home and resting comfortably :thumbsup

Drake.jpg

Drake 2.jpg

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nice looking beef. He dressed out real nice.... had me a little fooled as to the amount of marbling he would have. You guys did really good. Did you get a total on the finished weight? Just curious as to how the "meat in the freezer" percentage was. We tell people that the hanging weight is approx 50-60% of the live weight and the actual meat in the freezer is about 50-60% of that... so a live weight of 1,000 lbs will give you about 250, maybe 300 lbs meat in the freezer from a total animal. The more "finished the animal" as yours was, will yield a little more... leaner animals yield a little less...
It also depends on the butcher... some just don't do as good a job with the processing...
Since he was her show steer, I am sure there was a greater amount of money into feed than one you just raised for beef... but the experience was so great for her.... and with the price of beef going up, he probably was a decent "investment " too...
Congrats to your daughter, and both of you for giving her that opportunity... especially after almost not having one...

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
We didn't get a meat in the freezer weight. His hanging weight was 63%.
It's interesting, the extension agent told Maurine he needed more finishing, maybe 200 lbs. Tim at the slaughter house said he was perfect. He was very complimentary to Maurine. Said he was much better than most he sees. He should know. :thumbsup

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
In your opinion was it worth it to raise him?

We've raised two steers a couple years ago, so we've done it before. My wife's dad raised them for years. This was our first show steer. My daughter is 18 so it will be our last. Will just stick with goats for show.
But, will definitely raise beef again.