One Fine Acre - 2023 4H Steer Project Update

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Dang
It looks like a thread got deleted before I had the chance to congratulate someone on their post that combined the perfect combination of arrogance and ignorance. You don't see that often. :thumbsup

The most ridiculous part is I have both horned and disbudded. Learned over the years, "evolved" due to experience and tragedy...

The nutjobs seem to be coming out of the woodwork lately.
This is why I am really not selling goats to pet homes anymore- few exceptions.

On another note-Sounds like Climate may be real hard to dry off, I know you took her for breeding, but don't remember when.
If she didn't take then you could just milk her once a day and after everyone kids increase milking again. :)

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I for one am glad it was deleted. people should just agree to disagree without all the name calling or anger. we each have a right to raise our animals as we choose. I shouldn't try to tell the young lady how she should raise her animals any more than she should tell me how to raise mine. age and experience come in handy sometimes.
AMEN!

I really don’t care if someone wants to leave horns on their goat. But I can’t stand false claims and someone else telling the majority of goat keepers that the are cruel/evil/lazy/etc. because they choose to disbud. So we should keep goats in pens without trees so they don’t get stuck.
Brilliant.

Saying blood and gore happens anyway, so we should keep horns on goats is just silly :rolleyes:

I love especially how the one poster had a disbudded (maybe polled) goat as their avatar. Funny how they are not regular posters either- I’d be curious to know more about their herd.

Maybe instead of stirring up debates they’d instead create threads to help she proper fences and feeders for horned goats?

Sorry for the mini rant LOL
——————————

So, how ‘bout that snow?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I missed that one too. Probably because I don't read alot of the goat stuff, but I can tell you from experience that horned goats like boers, are a pain in the butt when they are young for getting their horns in the woven wire fences. And when you are running 150 plus for meat goats, taking care of them can really be challenging because no sooner do you get one out then 15 min later it puts its' stupid head through in another spot. My goat/farm sitting job....And NO ONE that is raising that number commercially is using woven wire fencing that is smaller than 6x6 holes because you could never afford it.
It's just like the horn issue with cattle. I love the look of horns on the jerseys; but when they are young, and this also goes for holsteins, they will use their horns on other calves in their group. It doesn't matter how much space they have, as in 15 head on 20 some acres... there are always a few that will be bullies and use their horns. I had one last year and I had the vet take them off after she was 3 because she just couldn't resist hooking another cow when they were eating at the round bales; and PURPOSELY go from one bale to another just to hook another cow, not because she wanted to eat. Thought she would grow out of it, she didn't and one day she just pi$$ed me off and that was it. Boy, did she get a comeuppence when they were gone. Served her right.

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
I missed that post.

I’m not on here that often and when I am I rarely venture out of my own post. :hide

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Interesting morning
I slept in and Maurine and Rachel went to church
I'm making my coffee and look out the window and see goats in the backyard
The gate is wide open
There were about 8 out and they were easy to herd back in
I think they knew they weren't supposed to be there
Mikey runs up out of the woods and goes back in the gate
Angel and Bella are no where to be seen
I called about 10 minutes and Bella comes up out of the woods and I get her back in
Go back in and a few minutes later I look out and see Angel in the back yard
:bow

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wasnt surprised that Mikey didn't go far
He was probably freaked out by the goats being out
I've heard so much about Pyrs roaming I was worried about Angel and Bella and how far away they may have gotten
Angel will try to slip out the gate sometimes if you aren't paying attention but she runs up and stands at the back door
In fact when I saw her outside I just opened the door and called her to the house:)