One little... That's all

MiniGoatsRule

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hey guys! Been awhile.

So, my dad went hunting at a hutterite (am I spelling that right?) colonylast year, and try gave us some potatoes. We forgot about them, and they ended up growing in a bag in our garage. Nobody wants them and they're not very edible right now. My dad decided to toss them, but I asked and he said I can keep some.

So, I want to plant them. Not to make money, just as a hobby. I have 2 right now. But I have no idea how to plant them. What size container do I need? How do I water them? Do they need any maintenance? They've been growing in a dark garage since October in a fake burlap sack.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, been ages... glad to see you.
If you want to, plant in one of the tubs like the molasses licks for cows or horses.... 6 inches soil on the bottom, put the potato in, keep adding soil OR just good heavy straw type mulch, as they grow up, and they will put out potatoes. Some people grow them in old tires, and keep adding soil as they grow up. Put outside in full sun, keep watered but not soggy.... so if using a tub, make a few holes in the bottom.... or like ours get cracks in the bottom of the plastic tubs.... They hold about 20 gallons of water to give you an idea of size.
Look up on the internet for growing potatoes in containers and you will see some different ideas...
Are they an heirloom variety? I am trying several different types this year just for fun and to see what I like and if they are worth the time....

Latest posts