One neutered, one unneutered?

vkalvacev

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Can those two kinds of rabbits live together or no? Someone would like to purchase two from me, both males, and are willing to neuter if they must but is it possible or not? One of them are very sweet personality wise, while I think the other one may be the more hostile one that would cause the problem if anything.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
vkalvacev said:
Can those two kinds of rabbits live together or no? Someone would like to purchase two from me, both males, and are willing to neuter if they must but is it possible or not? One of them are very sweet personality wise, while I think the other one may be the more hostile one that would cause the problem if anything.
My adage is "better safe than sorry". If they are not going to breed, neuter or spay your animals. I know it is a cost to a vet, but IMHO it helps with "taming the hormones" which are hardwired in rabbits to breed. That brings tension and fights. But it's up to the individual's view. You can only advise those who buy your rabbits about "hormones and hardwiring". And sweet personalities at 8 weeks can change at 12 weeks when "hormones" start to flow. Just my opinion. :)

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor ... NEUTER both. That will cost less in the long run !

TheSheepGirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Since rabbits are solitary animals that develope territories it is always best to keep them in separate cages anyway. They are much happier when they have their own space and it is easier to ensure they are getting the proper ammount of food.

I have noticed that rabbits are either sweet or not very sweet. Spaying or neutering can sometimes effect the behavior, but only if the problem is related to a higher reproductive sense. Some rabbits are just illtempered regardless.

Neutering does seem to effect such behaviors as spraying in males, but otherwise I have noticed no other differences between the two. My unfixed males are just as calm and personable as my one neutered male. The only difference is the extra $100 or more they spent to have him fixed.

If one is to be fixed and they insist on them living together, then have both fixed. The one that is neutered will most likely be the bottom of the pecking order and the other will be dominate by a ways. Two unfixed males in the same cage is just asking for trouble. A fight is inevitable regardless of their temperment.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
TheSheepGirl said:
Since rabbits are solitary animals that develope territories it is always best to keep them in separate cages anyway. They are much happier when they have their own space and it is easier to ensure they are getting the proper ammount of food.

I have noticed that rabbits are either sweet or not very sweet. Spaying or neutering can sometimes effect the behavior, but only if the problem is related to a higher reproductive sense. Some rabbits are just illtempered regardless.

Neutering does seem to effect such behaviors as spraying in males, but otherwise I have noticed no other differences between the two. My unfixed males are just as calm and personable as my one neutered male. The only difference is the extra $100 or more they spent to have him fixed.

If one is to be fixed and they insist on them living together, then have both fixed. The one that is neutered will most likely be the bottom of the pecking order and the other will be dominate by a ways. Two unfixed males in the same cage is just asking for trouble. A fight is inevitable regardless of their temperment.
People see rabbits as pets, as I did. I wanted two not knowing as you do that they are solitary animals that develop territories. My unneutered males are very friendly and have been getting along very well. Now they are from the same litter. They are brothers. But having them neutered will continue this great relationship plus the "spraying" of territory will not occur as it has not shown it's ugly scent as of yet. It's not for everybody. And the extra vet bill will be a benefit in our eyes because we do not plan to breed as of yet. And I think it's torture to allow males who are not breeding to continue looking for females. Or using the local male. Tends to bring on fights or extra cage expense for separating them. And FWIW, if I had two does I would spay too. Pets are different than breeding stock. Breeding stock is just that.

And regarding rabbits are either sweet or not very sweet, well I can say that for any species of animals. Depending on how they are brought up. If you think training a bunny to be a pet is easy, it's not. Takes a lot of time. And patience. I'm glad we are doing what we are because it appears as though they are very healthy and content. :)

vkalvacev

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ok thanks everyone! Its really up to the owners if they want to do these things or give them shots, etc (I dont because I dont believe in shots..) but in certain situation, spaying and neutering is better I agree with that. I just want to be informed when I give information telling them the best route with their bunnies and how to give them happy homes and lives!

I know that I saw an article/blog thing online once and there were two random females who lived happily together, even combined their kits when they had their babies but over time, when one died and another came in, that was def. NOT the case and they had to be seperated so I guess you never know what to expect.

Oh jeez, I can tell whose nice and whose not from my rabbits although most have become very sweet (more so than my last litter who started to BITE!) but all these guys do is lick, only one has nibbled once or twice! The one that I am keeping was actually the brat of the litter (of course, the cutest but the bratiest!) and she still is, but she started to lick me so I dont know if its fake love or what :p

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
vkalvacev said:
Ok thanks everyone! Its really up to the owners if they want to do these things or give them shots, etc (I dont because I dont believe in shots..) but in certain situation, spaying and neutering is better I agree with that. I just want to be informed when I give information telling them the best route with their bunnies and how to give them happy homes and lives!

I know that I saw an article/blog thing online once and there were two random females who lived happily together, even combined their kits when they had their babies but over time, when one died and another came in, that was def. NOT the case and they had to be seperated so I guess you never know what to expect.

Oh jeez, I can tell whose nice and whose not from my rabbits although most have become very sweet (more so than my last litter who started to BITE!) but all these guys do is lick, only one has nibbled once or twice! The one that I am keeping was actually the brat of the litter (of course, the cutest but the bratiest!) and she still is, but she started to lick me so I dont know if its fake love or what :p
I think telling the new owners what the different options are is exactly the right idea. It's up to them. It's their responsibility what will happen to that bun. You can't hold their hand but you can give them a little knowledge when they go. I will always advise them to seek out a "rabbit" vet to make sure their rabbits are seen once a year. I don't believe in shots and have never heard of shots for rabbits. But that is up to the vet to explain to them. Also about neutering/spaying, giving them info on rabbit behavior, gives you peace of mind that they understand in some way. What they do with that information is on them.

Glad to hear about your nice rabbits. Hopefully others will too. :)

cattlequeen

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Easy solution - don't spend all your money neutering a rabbit, spend that money towards another cage.

Rabbits do not like to be housed together.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
cattlequeen said:
Easy solution - don't spend all your money neutering a rabbit, spend that money towards another cage.

Rabbits do not like to be housed together.
I beg to differ on that one. I have had several bonded pairs over the years. These were always spayed/neutered pets but they truly enjoyed each other's company. While I don't believe that every rabbit wants a buddy, saying extremes like all rabbits are solitary animals is not the truth.

Latest posts