One of my ewes have 4 teats

Codym907

Just born
Reaction score
I was feeling to see if my pregnant ewes might have bagged up yet and was noticing that my one icelandic ewe has 4 teats. Is this normal? The second pair doesn't seem very functional because they are smaller than the other ones.

AimeeDx

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I had a ewe who had 4 teats, one pair smaller than the other, and both pairs worked well!

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had a ewe who had 4 teats, one pair smaller than the other, and both pairs worked well!
VERY unusual......did her ewe offspring have the same?

It reminds me of those pictures of women with 4 breasts, or the folk with extra nipples. Let's not go there!

Childwanderer

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
One of my ewes has four teats, two of which look like non-functional miniatures. I do not know whether the smaller pair give milk. I'm not bothered by it, and don't feel that it is a problem. Some googling revealed this article from a University of Illinois website about a breeding experiment performed by Alexander Graham Bell in selecting for extra teats in the hopes of increasing ewe fertility and lambs produced: http://livestocktrail.illinois.edu/sheepnet/paperDisplay.cfm?ContentID=6721

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
It happens, producers cull them usually .

My BFL×Cheviot has 4, 2 normal and 2 tiny. Also have a Babydoll with 4.

You can see them early on if you look close and carefully.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here's a wee little nub of a second nipple on a lamb, if anyone wants to know what to look out for.
20190427_173638.jpg

I believe that I have other pics I can share later, too.