One of the babies died!

farmin'chick

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I don't know where you are...but here in Southwest Virginia, our soils are extremely low in Selenium. The vet recommends that the kids be given a shot of vitamin E and selenium as soon after they are born as possible....maybe you have some soil mineral deficiency that would be that easy to remedy? Second, we bought a group of sickly pregnant Boers that we have been nursing. We've learned a lot but held a lot of dying babies, too...I'm sorry you lost yours. It can be so hard, even when you've only known them for a few hours. One of the things we've learned is that an absolute must with our Boers is an aggressive anti-parasite campaign.

You did everything you knew to do. You cannot save them all. Your baby went over the Rainbow Bridge, to a land of eternal sun with plenty of shade...and tons of other babies to jump and play with!

You will never forget her, but you will find others to love in her place.

Griffin's Ark

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
As I read this post I thought of the long winter that a lot of us had. Trying our best to keep kids alive in the extreme cold temperatures, lots of us lost kids. What did we learn? I don't know if I am interpreting this correctly but - "Kids can't control their body temperature for the first 24 to 48 hours." Which I think might mean that they won't do well in extreme heat or extreme cold.

This is one of the greatest things about a forum like this. We can share our pain and our joy with each other while learning what we can do to keep our animals safe, happy and healthy!

Chris