one thing no one mentiones when you start out with livestock

jk47

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well I got a cold today and it got me thinking that no one including me really tells a new person that you have to take care of whatever stock you have no matter what. It could be because I raise my livestock at my high school
But people get sick and dont go to school someone else has to feed for you. Now i might of took the day off but I still went to care for my livestock before I went home.I might of took longer and hopeing that nothing trys to shove me over but I still do it may feel like im going to die but it has to be done. Im not sure were im going with this post but that what was on my mind

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You are right, animals still have to eat and drink. They don't just take the day off because you are sick. It shows your level of maturity and responsibility that you cared enough about your animals to care for them even though you are sick. :thumbsup

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My mom used to get upset when my aunt would leave midday at Thanksgiving and Christmas to take care of the horses and whatever else she had at the time. Mom never understood. You don't take a day off, no matter what. You either do it or you pay someone to do it. My aunt has a farm hand but she always gives him the holidays off. I don't see my mom much. She thinks I can just take a week off and go half way across the country to see her.

Neither rain nor snow nor dark or night.......it's not just the post office.

jk47

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That's exactly how my family is
Gets upset why I leave in the middle
Of a get together to feed the pigs at 4 O clock exactly.they say the pigs will be fine getting feed later and why cant you spend time with the family.and why do we have to fit are schedules for your pigs. Some people will never understand that are livestock come first no matter what

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't let it bother you @jodief100 My mother is 91 and has never understood me. I am sure she wonders if she wasn't handed a different baby at the hospital.

Look at it this way, everybody eats and nobody is interested in how, why or where it comes from. We, on the other hand, are part of the process. Maybe we only feed our own family, maybe we only provide a part of the food we eat, maybe we have extra to sell or share, but we are light years ahead of those who don't even care.

I am proud of that dirt under my fingernails. I love the smell of animal manure and compost piles. I revel in the first tomato bloom. I gain immense satisfaction in a pot of chicken soup-and I raised and butchered that chicken. The magic of a tiny seed, planted and nurtured, then the fruitful harvest, never gets old for me. The sounds and smells of animals in a barn feels like home.

They don't get it and never will. Just feel sorry for them and go on with your happy life.

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
I've missed school for lambs. Luckily my school is in a rural area and understood. Kids miss for branding and driving cattle. I once was excused from classes to get a rooster out of an engine block.

Holidays are also hard for us. The majority of the family gatherings happen 2 hours away and we do like to go to them. So far we have been lucky that relatives or neighbors close by offer to check in and feed everybody.