one watery eye

Valley Ranch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We have one female with a watery eye, we just noticed. Her nostril on that side is also congested. Does it sound like a sinus infection? I have read that it could be food impacted and it may have to be pulled out. What is your experience?

I plan to give peniciline.

Richard

goodhors

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The nasal tube might need flushing out, never heard of pulling something out!

I would check with the Vet before radomly giving penicillin to attempt a cure. If the tube is clogged up, meds is not going to fix it. Our friends had an eye problem on the horse, Vet found the tube clogged and ended up just blowing it out. Sounds odd, but that is what cleared the tube. Vet gave horse eye drops as well, and owners then had to apply the eye drops daily and blow out the nasal tube for about a 10 days. Horse eye cleared up after that. If horse later looked like he had a weepy eye, they would just blow out that nasal tube and wash horse's eye and it was fixed.

Horse did NOT NEED antibiotics for fixing the eye problem. Wrong solution to his problem, would not have helped anything. Clog needed physical removal with the air pressure of blowing it out of the nasal tube.

We shorten forelocks to above the eyes in summer. I get eye problems with the very long forelocks rubbing across the eyes and flies landing by, walking around eyeballs with germs all over themselves. Cut the forelocks and we don't get the goopy eyes problem with flies. I think the forelock hair gets dirty, rubs the dirt into the eyes too, adding to the fly problem.

What we are seeing more and more, is folks diagnosing sick animals and giving meds, penicillin, antibiotics, to fix things. They often do not use the right meds for the issues, do not treat the problem long enough, to really fix the problem. However the germs get tougher and tougher, resistant to many common meds because they have survived the wrong dosage situations. When these folks FINALLY do call the Vet in, animals germs are resistant to medication, problem jumps to a much higher level of care and expense. Sometimes even the Vet's "best shot medication" can't fix the problem by then. So the animals die. Seeing that happen more and more, and when you ask about their immunization program the list is ENDLESS. Horses especially are getting shots continually to "prevent problems" that might interrupt showing. Lots more shots than recommended by the vaccine manufacturer!!

So be aware that just "dosing him a little" now and again, guessing about problems, could be working against you, because you are making his germs immune to medications. You won't have any weapons left to help him if horse gets REALLY sick later on.

Valley Ranch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks, as a med tech I am aware of the over an under dosage of antibiotics. This is a problem in human application as well.

I'd like to hear more about as you said "blowing out" of the passage. Can you discribe how this was done?

I'll check the forelocks to see if they are long enough to cause the condition you mentioned. Thanks

Richard

michickenwrangler

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Anther possibility could be allergies of some kind, although if it doesn't clear up on its own soon, you could probably rule this out.

Is the nasal discharge clear or whitish?

Valley Ranch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
That nasal discharge is white sometimes pale green.

Last evening I started her penicillin, this morning there is very little discharge and it is white her eye is looking better. I'll finish the course of antibiotics.