One week old baby goat.

Teri Ann

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Our head goat had 4 kids on 3/10/18
One born dead. Big one and first lived, till Monday, then Tuesday the last one died. I'm doing everything I can for this one to live.
He sometimes will not eat, then other times he will eat. I have him on bottle for momma had no milk come in. This was her 3rd liter.
So how do I make sure he lives. He is so precious.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
There are so many reasons that goats can die. It could be a genetic issue,viral,bacterial, feeding, etc. really no way to know.
What kind of goat?
What are you feeding?
How much?
Does he have a temp?
How does he act?

And the list goes on. I would contact a vet at this point.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH Teri Ann! So glad you joined us but I'm sorry to hear the reason you've joined. You really haven't provided enough information and since the others have already died and the doe is not producing milk, a vet would probably be the best idea at this point. Did you get some colostrum for any of the kids or the surviving kid within the first 24 hours? Since this is her 3rd freshening, is there something going on that the doe is dry? Did she have this problem previously? Is there a health issue with her? Is she getting enough good quality feed to produce milk? There are too many questions and much supporting info needed here.

There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home! Please consider taking a minute to visit the new member's thread and introduce yourself so folks can welcome you properly. https://www.backyardherds.com/forums/new-member-introductions.17/

Also, PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. I recommend at least your state as most folks won't be able to figure out where if you put anything more specific (county, town, street, etc) by itself. Old folks like me will never remember & look there first. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!