Orange Genetics

rowegirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I am a newbie at rabbit genetics and am working on buying pedigreed netherland dwarfs. I have found some orange NDs but was wondering if that is a more complicated color to work with than say something like selfs or brokens? :idunno

DutchBunny03

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Any color has its challenges. Generally, the more complex the markings, the harder it is. Thats why English Spots and Rhilanders seem to drive their owners to near insanity. Selfs are not quite as hard, but there you have to worry about uneven coloring, faded coloring. etc. There isnt really an "easy" color or pattern to work with. But as far as i can tell, orange is not extremely difficult to work with.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
My advice is to research and attempt to focus on a particular color group at first. Reds are a bit more complex but definitely doable as a newbie.
Of course you can always get suprises. I have gotten both creams breeding selfs and agoutis and agoutis and steels when breeding selfs.... of course my velveteen lops haven't been around nearly as long as the Netherland dwarfs.

rowegirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My advice is to research and attempt to focus on a particular color group at first. Reds are a bit more complex but definitely doable as a newbie.
Of course you can always get suprises. I have gotten both creams breeding selfs and agoutis and agoutis and steels when breeding selfs.... of course my velveteen lops haven't been around nearly as long as the Netherland dwarfs.

From what I've been reading on all the colors it looks like I'm going to just have to jump in and be a little hands on about it and not be so nervous. Of course I'm going to keep on reading and learning as much as I can. :caf