Orange sheep pee?

Cotton*wood

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What does it mean when a ewe's pee is orange? (I only know because the snow drifted so high on the electric net fences that they're all shorted out, so I had to move the sheep into the duck yard, where I can see their pee.)

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Concentrated color in urine usually means dehydration. If it is super cold, are they drinking enough water? If your water barrels are too cold, they may not be drinking enough water. Super cold temps requre ivestock to drink more just like super hot temps. This is because in super cold temps livestock will often refuse to drink much icy water. Maybe give them some warm water and see if they drink more. If you have electricity in the barn you can buy water bucket warmers that will keep the buckets from icing over.

Cotton*wood

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Okay. That's a little weird, because they're now in a yard that has a heated water tank, unlike out in the pasture where the water is a whole lot colder..... Maybe it was from yesterday when they first came in.....

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Probably. If they did not have heated water before moving them to the new pen, they didn't realize the water there is warm so might not have been too quick to drink.

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
There's a reason for orange urine in the snow across multiple species, and I can't remember the science behind it. Something to do with the snow. Usually it's nothing to worry about.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Also.... check the heated water...

We once had a short and were actually electrifying the water. :hide

Other possible cause of orange pee is if they got into copper. I once had a goat crunch up a copper bolus, it made her pee orange for about a day.

Cotton*wood

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Also.... check the heated water...

We once had a short and were actually electrifying the water. :hide

Other possible cause of orange pee is if they got into copper. I once had a goat crunch up a copper bolus, it made her pee orange for about a day.
Can't imagine where they'd get copper. Nothing but grass, hay, water, and sheep minerals in the pasture. Uh, hope the water's not electrified. Naw....I did see them drinking out of it.....

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
If they increased their water intake because it was warmer and therefore more to their liking, the increase likely flushed out their kidneys better. It will probably take a day or 2 and then the color should go back to light yellow. With that much cold they just probably were only drinking what they had to and not what they really wanted because of the cold.

Latest posts