Oreo might be in labor...or she might be kidding...

Mini-M Ranch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
So, husband and I got home late this evening. We found Oreo with white discharge from her hoo-hoo, belly dropped, muttering softly (she normally says NOTHING except when she is head-butting somebody, then she sounds like a wookie). She is breathing heavily and stretching and hunching a lot. She is also licking her lips like crazy and her udder is noticably bigger than it was this morning, although it is still higher than what I have seen in other goats who are ready to labor. She still has a pretty good appetite, but she usually is simply ravenous. lol.

Her hoo-hoo still seems pretty dry, just a bit of clearish fluid and she isn't nesting too much just yet. She is just kind of walking around in circles. I also checked her ligaments and felt none (they were thinnish feeling this morning, but now I don't find them at all.

Sometimes she gets really quiet and stands VERY still. Then her belly sort of tightens and she gets a far away look in her eyes. Contractions, maybe? I'm hoping. Tonight is supposed to be the best and warmest weather for the next 10 days. Hoping she is actually doing it! Oh, the breeder had her due date written down as 01-18 or 1-20. What do you think?

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Sounds like contractions to me....

Good luck, here's wishing you an easy kidding and healthy babies.

Lil Chickie Mama

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I think that means that you better have the camera ready to take pics so we can see your cute new kids!!! Hope Oreo will be a good mama! I'll be tuning in to see if you write more about her kidding! :pop

dkluzier

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
:D Yeehaw! Good luck, sounds like you're getting babies soon. :D :D

I see that Oreo is the Queen, our Bab's was the first to breed and birth this year and she is the Queen here. The other girls are missing her around the goat yard something aweful since she had her twin doelings on Thursday. We had to close off all gates surrounding her stall though cause she was ramming the walls and gate to defend her kids from the curious peeking of the others through the stall slats!! :lol: :lol:

KinderKorner

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hmm. I never thought about how the queens breed and birth first. Weird. Mine was the only to breed last year, and the first this year.

Yeah I had a doe kid a month ago. And I let Goatie my queen meet them and their mommy for the first time since birth yesterday. Goatie tried to kill them. :( It was so close, I was barely able to grab ahold of her neck fur and slow her ram up so the baby would have a spilt second to get away. She treid several more times, and it frightened me so bad. The poor mommy is low on the pecking order so she was just as scared as I was, and she couldn't defend her little babies.

Looks like mean ol Goatie is going to be living with the bucks, when babies start arriving.

dkluzier

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I am hoping that I don't have to put up any fences to separate Queen Babs and the lower ranking does. Hopefully she will keep her babies a safe distance away and not even notice the next lower class moms birthing in March. We have a 8 month old nubian doe that still gets rammed into the ground on occassion but not by the Queen. I was thinking of putting the nubian doe in with the babies before adding them all to the herd to see if the mams would accept her more readily then. Who knows!

Mini-M Ranch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yes, the other girls cried for her a lot when she was gone. I took her over to the fence this morning to visit them and it was like a scene from a movie. lol. The girl that is third in command is trying to move up to 2nd. She was very sweet to Oreo. Oreo tried to butt her through the fence and made her Wookie noise. *sigh*

Well, we still don't have any kids. :(

She faked me out, but I still think it will be soon, hopefully. Here is a pic of me checking her ligs last night and some pics of her hoo-hoo from this morning. What do you think?

768_kidding1_016.jpg

768_kidding1_048.jpg

768_kidding1_050.jpg

dhansen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Do any others of you think this is so funny how we take pictures of our goat's hoohoo and post it on this website? It makes me laugh each time.:lol:

Mini-M Ranch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yup. I have no shame about posting other individual's hoo-hoos on the internet.

BTW, Her hoo-hoo is all tired out now. She spent a leisurely afternoon kidding triplets! Two doelings and a buckling. Pictures to follow