Organic Minerals, Grain Rations..... Lots of Questions!

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've been using Redmond conditioner for several months, and it seems to have made a difference in my goats.

Before, I was using the only thing available locally--apple flavored red salt blocks for horses laced with molasses. The goats loved them, but they had rough hair coats, fish tails, and my older does had thin coats and just weren't keeping weight on well. After researching what was in the blocks versus what they actually needed...well, they might as well have been licking the dirt with those blocks. I'm not sure anymore those are even adequate for a horse.

Since switching, their hair is thick and shiny and the thin girls are holding weight better. The babies are all over the Redmond's, they love it. The older girls hated it at first, I had to hide it in their grain to get it in them at all. Now that they are heavily pregnant though, they are sucking that stuff down like it is candy.

Heavy metals? Great, another thing to worry about! :/

Our7Wonders

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ariel301 said:
Heavy metals? Great, another thing to worry about! :/
Perhaps not. Here's the response I got from the Redmond rep for my area:

"Thanks for your question. We can appreciate your concern for the food you and your animals consume. We are the same way. We have a grass based dairy and sell raw milk, grass fed beef, free range chicken eggs and we consume all of that because we too are interested in putting the best food possible into ourselves and animals. In regards to your aluminum question: perhaps what I will mention will not reduce your level of concern. My opinion is this. Because the minerals in Redmond are not in isolation, meaning, they are in balance with many other minerals that were contained in the ancient ocean that created the salt and mineral deposit, I feel good about consuming it. Any element or mineral consumed in high amounts, in isolation, is likely to have negative effects. Consumed in small amounts in a propotion that the ocean put together, which balance supported all kinds of plant an animal life anciently, from my perspective, is going to be of benefit. Again, those are the personal opinions of one who has also spent years reading and researching food and health as both a farmer and consumer".

He replied very quickly and even offered to speak with me over the phone if I had more questions. He seemed very nice. I haven't looked into naturally occuring aluminum when in "balance" with other trace minerals as the Lord has made it, will make for interesting research. I do avoid aluminum in and of itself - we haven't had any aluminum cookware in years and avoid certain foods, beauty products, etc - all because aluminum. We're kinda "weird" that way. Then again, we homeschool, have 7 children, drink raw milk, eat *real* food from scratch, and fear the Lord - we're kinda weird on many levels!:lol:

HTH,
Debbi

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
CrownofThornsNDGoats said:
Sometimes your body will take those minerals and store them in your body for future use. That is one of the causes of arthritis.
Whahuh?

How does the body's way of storing minerals cause an inflammation of the joints? Inflammation is a TH1 immune response triggered either by foreign bodies, or by an autoimmune attack on the body's own cells..

Can't figure what mineral storage has to do with that..

:hu

AlaskanShepherdess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
cmjust0 said:
CrownofThornsNDGoats said:
Sometimes your body will take those minerals and store them in your body for future use. That is one of the causes of arthritis.
Whahuh?

How does the body's way of storing minerals cause an inflammation of the joints? Inflammation is a TH1 immune response triggered either by foreign bodies, or by an autoimmune attack on the body's own cells..

Can't figure what mineral storage has to do with that..

:hu
http://www.herballegacy.com/Arthritis.html

AlaskanShepherdess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I asked for information directly from Redmond and it is indeed high in Aluminum. I called them and asked them to send me a mineral analysis of the animal salt.

Latest posts