Orphan Drum Colt

Jae~b

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
One week ago a breeder I know had to put down her beautiful shire mare from founder. She had a 6 week old colt at her side. Maybe I'm loopy, but I said yes, I'll take him. Fortunately, they knew this was coming and had already pail trained him. He slurps Mare's Milk Plus foal milk replacement out of the bucket like a champ. I've never had an orphan foal , I've read anything I can get my eyes on, but wanted to know if any body else has any experience with this? Do I go ahead and wean about 3 months? He is nibbling at his milk pellets but not really getting enough to sustain any type of growth. I mix a tiny bit of Omalene 300 in with the pellets, that has made him a bit more interested in it. He is nibbling at hay and grass. He has a mineral block, any other ideas with this guy? He is a draft breed, so he has a whole lotta growing to do.

Here's the not so little six week old

DSCF0324.jpg

and here being a lap foal

DSCF0301.jpg

michickenwrangler

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Cute guy!

I would call a vet for a recommendation. If you keep him on until 6 months, it won't cause him any harm, so long as he doesn't get obnoxious or lippy about his milk replacer. THEN it is time to wean. Most racehorse owners wean at about 3 months to begin creep feeding, although most horse owners I know let foals nurse until 6 months.

Min. of 3 months, wean gradually.

A 6 week old should have already started eating some solids (sounds like he is) but he'll eat when he's ready.

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Wow, he's huge! And cute. I love drum horses, they're so beautiful.

One thing I do know about orphans is they can grow up with respect issues. In a herd, mom and the other mares will teach the foal to be respectful of his elders--they will kick and bite him when he gets out of line. However, if that foal grows up with humans for a herd, he will think that he is a human, or that humans are horses, and if he is not taught to be respectful from the first, he will try to take advantage of people or play with them. Obviously that's not something you want him doing, so be firm with him, even though his acting up might be cute now. Any behavior you do not want him doing when he is 1000+ pounds, don't let him do now. He's already a really big boy, so I doubt you'll be letting him get away with things orphans often learn, like jumping on people or pawing at them!

RedLady

Just born
Reaction score
Keep him on the milk as long as possible and a high quality foal feed to supplement it. Drums hit MANY growth spurts and make sure to start his halter training immediately. I have raised Quarter Horses and Drums and they are more than smart enough to start ground work from one week and on. No round pen work though as it can damage their joints at least untill 3 years old though I recommend no lounging till four months.They want to please so always give your little one lots and lots of praise and will try and try again till they get it once they understand your trying to teach them.

I highly recommend Probios that come in the tube. They taste great and are wonderful for the youngsters digestion. And because they come in a worming tube it makes worming them when they are 18hh much easier. My gelding does not need a halter on in the middle of the pasture for his worming. Make sure to touch him everywhere and have him picking up those feet soon. It sure does come in handy later on.

Oh. And just a slight warning. Ive noticed all of our Drums hit a awkward phase at about 8-9 months old and start tripping over their own feet constantly even on flat ground. Its completely normal!! He will likely hit a second clumsy phase at 2 years or so just before another growth spurt.

If you need any help E-mail me and I can give you my Phone number.

Good luck!

Wynette

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I raised an orphan foal (we named her Annie) - mare passed away a fer hours after giving birth. It was a horrible time for us, as the mare was our very first horse. Anyway, she bonded to us immediately, and we ended up buying a mini donkey for her to grow up with. That was the best decision we ever made in regard to Annie.

I'm sorry for your new one's rough beginning, losing momma, but it sure sounds like he found a wonderful home! He's very handsome!

ChickenGirl11

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The picture of him being a lap-foal is he the same age as the one above it??? If so WOW he is huge :ep

danischi24

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We just had to remove a Friesian filly from appalling conditions at 1 month old but we were lucky that the second mare we tried as a foster took her in to look after alongside her colt foal of the same age. Respect issues are the biggest thing with orphans. No nibbling, no getting in your space etc.

suzeqf

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
He's so cute, He's going to be a really big boy, I haven't raised an ofphaned foal but i've raised several other ofphans and we usually let them bottle fed until around 3-4 months old dpending on what we were feeding and slowly cutting the amount of feedings down and as for the respect issue we solved that by doing what the mother and others in the herd would do when they act up and that seems to work

Goatfan4life

Just born
Reaction score
Oh, he's so cuuuuuuuuteeeee! I love him! :love Sorry, I have no info, tho.