Orphan Drum Colt

ThreeBoysChicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
He is gorgeous. Good Luck!!

I have never raised a orphan foal, but have had drafts for years. I agree with Ariel301, teach him respect right away. My drafts was 2,000 pounds and while they do not intend on hurting you on purpose, sometimes, they are just in the
wrong place at the wrong time and you are the one that gets hurt. They need to respect you and your space.

meg09

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My friend/boss had a mare, that i loved loved loved, we were forced to put her down after she had heer colt because her secum, spelled it wrong sorry had burst... worst day ever, april 16 05... anyways within hours he was bucket trained. I was his momma and he was turned out during the day with our "gentleman nanny horse" as he was gelding. The stud his fathers pen was right next to him and there wasnt a sweeter stud, hed always talk to his son from the fence. Really this stud was amazing could go in with other geldings and just a great guy. Anyways the horses and I raised him. Hes turning 8 this year. The first few days i even slept in his stall and he curled up with me lol. I think we gave him something called foal lack, but to me it didnt seem like he got enough nutrition from just that and eventually just hay once he was weaned. But my friend insisted it was... and now hes about 15 hand which i think is short for an appendix quarter mom was tb 6.1hh and daddy was maybe 15.1-15.2hh

meg09

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I forgot to ad, with my horses ( the orphan foal wasnt mine) but if Im training a foal, yes teach respect first, and halter train them, take them out every day tie them to the fence groom them give them a treat, once they can do that, teach him to pick up his feet, then once hes got that down teach him to either clip or load into a trailer, it easier to teach them ground manners when you start them young. I start teaching lunging around a yr and a half, of course I dont do "hard" work outs, walking light trotting jogging both sides and canter, light. I dont start lunging with a saddle until they are at least two. Just my prefferance, I should mention ive never owned a draft/ raised one. Although now I do have a draft quarter cross but hes 17 lol

goodhors

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You folks do realize that this is a very OLD thread? If foal was born in 2010,
date of first post, he will be coming THREE YEARS old now.

OP never came back to tell us how he did.