Orphaned 2 month old

Meghan Agner

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
so my buck is about 2 months old. His mama died from pneumonia a couple of weeks ago. He’s fat, almost too fat (bloated?), “bah”s a lot and just seems out of it. I had another young buck loose his mama and he ended up dying. Don’t want a repeat. Any advice? Obviously too old for a bottle. He’s currently penned with some other goats so I can watch him and make sure he eats well

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Why do you say "too old for a bottle"? He was nursing and if he were mine, I'd still be giving him milk. The stress of losing mom & also forced wean may be too much for him. Two weeks ago? Well, at 6 weeks he was sure not ready for no milk -- that may be the reason he Is not doing well. At that age the milk is their prime nutrition.

If the goats are older than him, he will most likely not be eating. Without mom to protect he will have a difficult time, IMO -- they are not known to share. If he is with only those his size/age, he will probably make it but, may not reach potential.

What's the situation? Then we can offer help. Yes, they can make it without milk at 2 months -- No, it is not recommended as 3 months is far better. Their gut has to develop and that is a point at which he is right now. See? He may not want a bottle but, can learn. If not happening, then there are milk pellets to help the gut adjust.

I'm sure others with far more experience will be able to offer help soon. I wish you the best as we never like to lose them, especially after his mom just passed. Surprised that she didn't make it as pneumonia is generally treated and responds well, if caught early. I'm sorry for your loss. It is always hard to lose an animal.

Donna R. Raybon

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Urine gives off ammonia which burns lungs. It is nearly impossible to pen goats and not have impact on lungs. Other causes of lung issues can be parasite overload, CAEV, CL, chlymidia, and stress from moving (shipping fever.)

Young goats can also have lung issues secondary to coccidia, too.

Thermometer is my best friend. Normal is 103°F but can vary by a degree and still be normal. A black goat in the sun might be 104°F and normal. When in doubt I take temp of a couple like here mates to compare. Antibiotic would be a good idea once temp is 104°F or higher. Banamine helps relieve inflammatory response that scars lungs and lowers fever. You only use it for first 48 hours until antibiotic has worked to lower fever. I am not a vet, but have had a couple cases of pneumonia and this is how vet said to treat.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have you checked his lungs? If mama died of pneumonia and he was penned with her, he may have same. What did other mama die of? Were they penned together? Have you had the vet out for the 2 that died? I would give an antibiotic on the off chance that he has pneumonia too. Also Vitamin B complex since it perks them up and gives them an appetite. What are you feeding him now - you said he was penned with some other goats.

You can try to get him on a bottle, but f his mom died several weeks ago, he probably will refuse it. You should have tried to get him on a bottle immediately. By now his milk stomach may have reduced to the point that he can't live on a bottle. If he gets hungry enough he might take it. Can you milk some of the other does or do you have available goat milk now? Use a goat nipple, baby bottle is too small, and start with 1 pint of milk. At 2 months bottle kids take a quart but nursing kids drink much more frequently so start small. He has to be hungry before trying to get him to take a bottle. He will refuse at first. Make sure to cut the cross cut slightly larger so he can get milk easily. You want the milk to actually sort of dribble out into his mouth so he knows this is where the milk comes from. I also put a little Karo corn syrup on the nipple to get them to take it. He won't want the bottle and especially he will have to learn how to drink from it. Nursing kids are like breast babies, the way they nurse is different from the way they have to suck a bottle. They have to learn how to do this.

Get several nipples (feed store if you don't have any) and cut first one large so milk will dribble out easily. Dab on Karo and let him get the milk trickling into his mouth. Once he learns to take this, use one with a slightly smaller hole so he has to actually suck - you don't want to drown him.

Some kids at 2 months absolutely won't take a bottle. In that case, you should put him on hay since he will have been eating it from the feeder with his mom anyway. If you were graining his mother he will have learned to nibble some grain so mix some grain with a little calf manna. Don't give too much grain since you don't want him to scour. I prefer to feed milk to kids up to 3 months, but they can be weaned earlier if necessary.

Hope you can pull him through.

Meghan Agner

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Ok, let me do some clarifying. The pen is an open pen and is about 50’ x 30’ maybe more.
The other goat that died, died over a year ago. I didn’t have this mama when it happened. She died from old age.
I have tried to bottle feed kids this age before with no success. Even tried when the kid was nursing but mama wasn’t well. My goats aren’t handled a lot so maybe that’s why... idk.
I have never heard of milk pellets.
I never wean mine but let the mamas wean them which is why I was asking for some advice. Obviously I would have put him on a bottle when his mama got sick if I had thought it possible. I’ve been raising goats for 5 years and have lost mamas to pneumonia, old age and worms before but never got one of the kids to live, no matter how hard I tried. Therefore, I posted this asking for help.
Some of the replies seem a little offensive but I am going to assume they weren’t meant that way.
So here’s where we are; not on bottle, penned with another young goat and his mama (his first cousin) and two other grown goats and a week old baby. I give them feed and mineral and alfalfa. What else should I try? Oh and of course water (No more lectures needed, thx)

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying - yes the additional information helps.

Actually, since he seems to be eating alfalfa and minerals, I wouldn't change anything you are doing. If he has made it 3 weeks already, his chances look good. If he looks bloated, give him some Pepto Bismal or kaopectate if he scours. Then maybe some probiotic to settle his stomach. It sounds like he is doing well though so I wouldn't worry too much. If he looks fat, carrying good cover over his rib, then he is getting enough nutrition. if you are worried about him looking bloated, are you sure he doesn't just have a "hay belly". All his nutrition is from hay so his little rumen may be slightly distended taking in enough food. Ordinarily he would be getting some of his nutrition from milk as well as hay.

Sounds like you are doing a good job.

Meghan Agner

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying - yes the additional information helps.

Actually, since he seems to be eating alfalfa and minerals, I wouldn't change anything you are doing. If he has made it 3 weeks already, his chances look good. If he looks bloated, give him some Pepto Bismal or kaopectate if he scours. Then maybe some probiotic to settle his stomach. It sounds like he is doing well though so I wouldn't worry too much. If he looks fat, carrying good cover over his rib, then he is getting enough nutrition. if you are worried about him looking bloated, are you sure he doesn't just have a "hay belly". All his nutrition is from hay so his little rumen may be slightly distended taking in enough food. Ordinarily he would be getting some of his nutrition from milk as well as hay.

Sounds like you are doing a good job.
Thank you so much!!! I just bought probiotics for another goat so I will give him some too today

Meghan Agner

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
He’s not interested in the alfalfa or the feed. He just sits down. He stinks too... I don’t think he will make it