Orphaned Spanish goats

Bowman85

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Okay I need so advice. My grandparents brought me two two day old doelings. I am giving them whole milk with Karo syrup every four hours. But now they have diaharia. Is that normal? And any other suggestions would be very appreciated.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Were they on there moms milk before? I wouldn't do corn syrup unless they are weak, ill, etc. What kind of milk are you feeding cows/goats? Do they have a temperature?
BTW we all love pics, especially of baby goats:).

Bowman85

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I don't think so. They were very weak when they found them. I have them on pasteurized whole cow milk. No temperature.

Attachments

• .IMG_20170105_164629.jpg
    .IMG_20170105_164629.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 99

Bowman85

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yes but I mixed a gallon of whole milk with three tbsp of Karo. And they are eating, with some help. One which is smaller and she needs more coxing to eat. So I'm going to try a nipple with a smaller opening.

Reactions: TAH

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
What does the poo look like? Are they two days old or three or older now?
The first poo is generally tar like and not formed. Can you take a pic. These things don't gross us out they are important ;)

Bowman85

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Okay I'll get a picture when I get home. They are three days old today. The poop is a creamy tan. But it's mushy and getting all over their bottoms.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Kids start out with tar poo and then it turns to yellow playdough like from the mothers colostrum then turns yellow seedy (if on mom) since they have gone straight to cow milk it may take some adjustment.
It may or may not be diarrhea - is it like water , just soft?

Do you know if kids got the dam's colostrum? Do you know if the dam was vaccinated with a CD &T prior to kidding?

Bowman85

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I don't think the dam was vaccinated. And I do not know if they got colostrum. The poo is watery now with squishy in it.