Orphaned twins

Corrine Wascher

Just born
Reaction score
Hi all,
A few days ago, we lost our favorite doe in a fence accident. She has a 3 week old set of twins that are orphaned now. We have tried bottle feeding them several times in the last few days but they are not having it. They are however content in the pasture with the other goats. They are still active, grazing some, and when I brought them in to try feeding again today, they both peed and pooped several times in 2-3 hour span. We have 3 other lactating does in the pasture that I assume they are robbing milk off of. My question is this, do I continue to leave them and keep an eye on them or really try to force the bottle?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
The best thing at this point is to see if the other does are actually allowing them to nurse. This you just have to watch for. Make sure they aren't just sneaking in and the doe isn't running them off... where they are just getting what they can. Make sure they are being sufficiently nursed.
It is difficult to get a 3 week kid on the bottle but it is possible. Sometimes the nipple isn't right, sometimes milk isn't warm enough, some times you have to "help" them even when they put up a fight. If you are trying formula they may altogether just reject it because it is formula.

If they are not sufficiently nursing then it is best to milk a doe out and give that milk to the kids.

I am very sorry about your doe. :hugs

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would try a little more to force the bottles. Usually, I have to actually open their mouths and force the nipple in. Once they get the idea, they usually come around pretty quick. I find the softer white, lamb nipples are good for most of my babies, nigis, Nubians and boers. I would use milk from another doe if possible. Also, if you can offer a little goat grain in a creep feeder area, they can start nibbling on that in addition.

I am sorry for your loss.:hugs

Hopefully your babies come around quickly. :fl