OTC SMZ-TMP, and more. :)

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
SMZ-TMP.
Cephalexin, amoxicillin, ampicillin, and metronidazole.

Obviously the SMZ-TMP would be handy as all get-out for those kid and young-ish goat scours where you don't really know if it's coccidia or a bacterial gut infection.. Many of us keep SMZ-TMP on hand, but they come from strictly from the vet. I dunno why you can get these OTC for fish, but then again...well, my guess is that the folks who make all this stuff sell A LOT OF IT to folks using it off-label in other animals, including humans.. Is that why they're making SMZ-TMP labeled for fish? You be the judge.. I frankly don't care. :p All I know is that I just found an OTC source for SMZ-TMP and that makes me happy. :)

Cephalexin, ampicillin, and amoxicillin...if you have dogs or cats, this stuff could be very handy! We do, and yeah, I've successfully used on-hand antibiotics (along with and on-hand betadine and whatnot) to treat wounds and injuries in our dogs.. And I know cephalexin is still used in dogs, because that's what Ivan got for his surgery -- Keflex, 500mg capsules.. Cost me A FORTUNE through the vet, too.. I think he got 60 capsules (3 capsules, 2x/day for 10 days) and it was right around $75.. Could have gotten 100ct for $40 through Jeffers, had I known.

Metronidazole...I wasn't familiar with this one, so I looked it up. Found a reference to it in the book "Goat Medicine" as the preferred treatment for tetanus infections in humans and pets -- but its use is strictly forbidden in food animals in the US. Uh huh.. Good to know! :p

Anyway, just thought I'd share my discoveries. :)

Edited to fix links...the pages for this stuff are not only hard to find on the Jeffers site, but also hard to link! :p

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Metronidazole is used to treat blackhead in turkeys. You can get it from the vet, or you can buy Fish-Zole from the pet stores. :p