Our 10wk steers have the runs--oh, no!

Qchickiemama

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hoping the calves are on the upswing today! :fl
You're kind. They seem much more like themselves today. They went to the pasture this morning on their own, and they're slurping down the electrolytes 2x/day. I hope we're through the worst.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's usually a good sign when they seek out food. Hoping this is just from dietary/"new home stress" and no illness or parasites to deal with. That is really good that they like the electrolytes, so much easier than forcing it on them.

Thanks for the update.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
Were there any other symptoms the calves were showing besides some runny poop? The only thing that I can think that would give them the runs is high protein feed, and the lethargic-ness an upset stomach from probably eating too much of the good stuff too quickly.

And, are you giving the calves a salt-mineral mix or block? They'll be eating up the electrolytes because of the salt, if they're craving salt, they'll be consuming that like the dickens, and that's a sure sign they need a salt block.

Otherwise, that's all I can come up with for now, hopefully the calves won't get into a more serious relapse.

But, most important, is do NOT give those calves Flagyl if you are (and everyone else here) not sure about using it. If the label doesn't say anything about use in cattle or calves, then don't use it on them. If you need to use an antibiotic on them, use something like Banamine, Baytril or Excenel, but only if you really need to use them, like if they're actually sick from a respiratory illness for instance. I just hope those calves don't have coccidiosis or anything similar.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
@WildRoseBeef Banamine isn't an antibiotic, it is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory, but I am sure you know that. :)

Is treating for cocci in cattle harder than treating goats or other animals? I have zero experience with cattle and it never hurts to learn.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
A high protein (Hot) feed can give any growing and developing bovine the runs, because basically, with a hot feed, you are always right on the verge of acidosis. It doesn't take much at all to tip the pH scale too far to the acidic side and the rumen flora becomes 'over populated' with acid producing bacteria, making things worse. The rumen stops working and everything starts going straight out the back end, including water and electolytes--usually because the intestine is seeing too much liquid secreted into it and not enough being re-absorbed. Getting the animal started on electrolytes early is key to recovery.
There are several different kinds of calf scours, and caused by different bacteria.

Bacteria:

Escherichia coli (E.coli) strains
Salmonella serotypes dublin, typhimurium, and others

Viruses:

Rotavirus
Coronavirus

Protozoa:

Cryptosporidia
Coccidia

e.coli is present everywhere

If it's cocci, I've had good luck treating the whole calf herd with Amprolium

Last edited:

Qchickiemama

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Here's the scoop from this morning: I didn't give them ReSorb this morning b/c they'd had the 2 days, 2x/day dose that I was told to do. They were clamoring for their bottles.

I gave them their 2qts of grain & watched them spurt while they ate. (Sorry to be gross.) And my daughter said that last night while they were drinking their ReSorb, as they would cough a little, their poo would fly across the stall. This sounds pretty darn bad to me. I'm guessing I at least need more ReSorb.

We're low on grain, so I'm heading to the mill this week. What is gentlest % on their guts? I can re-read the "grain" thread.

Qchickiemama

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
A high protein (Hot) feed can give any growing and developing bovine the runs, because basically, with a hot feed, you are always right on the verge of acidosis. It doesn't take much at all to tip the pH scale too far to the acidic side and the rumen flora becomes 'over populated' with acid producing bacteria, making things worse. The rumen stops working and everything starts going straight out the back end, including water and electolytes--usually because the intestine is seeing too much liquid secreted into it and not enough being re-absorbed. Getting the animal started on electrolytes early is key to recovery.
There are several different kinds of calf scours, and caused by different bacteria.

Bacteria:

Escherichia coli (E.coli) strains
Salmonella serotypes dublin, typhimurium, and others

Viruses:

Rotavirus
Coronavirus

Protozoa:

Cryptosporidia
Coccidia

e.coli is present everywhere

If it's cocci, I've had good luck treating the whole calf herd with Amprolium
I don't know if their current grain is considered "hot" or not. It's a mix of 10% protein (general cattle feed) and a bag of 16% protein (goat feed).

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree that it is vet time. I would be having a fecal done too. Cocci is certainly possible as are other parasites. If they were goats I would take away all the grain for now and only have hay...not sure about cattle. If 10% is cattle feed then I would guess that 16% would be considered "hot". Just a guess...again.

Latest posts