Our Buck is sick. Any Suggestions??

Goatfarmer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ok, went to let the goats out of the barn this morning and our buck usually is standing up on the gate to his stall to greet me and this morning he wasnt he was still laying down, I called his name and he didnt even get up just looked up at me. I got everyone out of the barn and into the lot and he walked to the lot but very slowly then got into the lot and just kinda moped around but ate very little, hardly anything. Then just laid back down, acted like he could hardly hold his head up. Just seemed very weak, and was breathing pretty hard. We gave him some pennicillin, but he just didnt seem any better. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong, or any suggestions as to what to do to help him out, other than the obvious calling the vet.

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Is he UTD on his vaccinations? Did you get a temp on him? I'm thinking it could be pneumonia from what you have told us so far. If it is pneumonia, one shot of pen won't do it. I would hit him with the pen 2X's a day for 10 days, along with Fortified B and probios.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Temperature? What's his poop like? Have you seen him pee?
Acting droopy / no appetite could be a symptom of a bunch of things, from pneumonia to Urinary Calculi.
First, I'd call the vet :)....Then I'd give him a B shot, some Probiotics, pen G if he has a fever, and wait for the vet to call me back.
If it's pneumonia, Pen G 2x a day for 7-10 days...
If he's having a UC attack, you'd drench w/ Amm. Chloride and offer supportive care.
There isn't enough info to truly help you diagnose though...
Good luck.

ETA: looks like LilHill and I think alike :)

ThornyRidge

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yes more information is needed.. does he grind his teeth? temperature. does he move ok (flinch when walking, touch him and run hands down hime make sure he does not have injury from roughousing) try to get him up to poop and pee.. watch for straining and crying out. Is his poop pelleted/color etc. before you start pumping him full of antibiotics and various remedies get a better picture of what is going on with him.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Penicillin takes at least 3 days before you would see it working. LilHill is right, it needs to be done twice a day at 12 hour intervals to keep the level of penicillin the same throughout the treatment.

I would get him to the vet.

kimmyh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I would CALL THE VET, he needs help, and he needs it today, please call the vet.

Goatfarmer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
He is peeing and pooping without any signs of pain. Poop is round pellets and dark brown as usual. He is drinking some water today and nibbling on a little bit of hay but still not wanting to eat. He has had nasal drainage and some audible nasal stuffiness. I think it's more respiratory than anything. He had two injections of Pennicillin yesterday and one already this morning. He has a little more energy today, was standing up ready to leave the barn with his buddies this morning. Going to add Vitamin B and Probios to his regimen and continue the Penicillin, as long as his symptoms are confined to respiratory and he continues to improve. Going to check his temperature. Oh, yes he is up to date on vaccinations.

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hopefully, he's turning around for you. Keep after him with the pen 2 x a day, probios and B for at least 7 days ... 10 would be even better.

Goatfarmer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well, he is up moving around this evening a little more. Nibbling a little bit but still not much of an appetite. Is drinking some water. Small amounts of pee each time he goes, but of course he's not taking in much. Poop continues to be normal appearing. He is grinding his teeth, what does this indicate?? We're also starting the B and Probios. He has alot of audible nasal congestion and his rectal temp. this evening is 106.0. We read somewhere that it is safe to give goats Children's Benadryl for the congestion and Aspirin for fever/pain relief. Do you all agree with this? THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR THE GREAT ADVICE!!!!

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
He needs banamine to get that fever down, and the teeth grinding could be from stress/pain. I don't give my goats aspirin because it's almost useless. They metabolize it so fast. You have one sick boy there, and maybe it's time to get him to a Vet or you could lose him.