1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. BYH Featured Thread: I'm woolin' it!
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. 2017 BYC Calendar SUPER SALE!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Our Future Beef Herd

Discussion in 'Everything Else Cattle' started by Goatgirl47, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Mar 19, 2017
    Goatgirl47

Goatgirl47 True BYH Addict

Here is our future beef herd (if everything goes as planned). :)

First up is Soji (short for Sojourner Truth). She is a purebred Red Brahman, and very sweet! We got her last November. These two pictures are from January, but all the rest I took about a week ago.
    IMG_0201.JPG
    IMG_0230.JPG
    This is Tallulah, 1/2 Gelbvieh, 1/4 Brown Swiss, 1/4 Simmental.
    IMG_7782.JPG
    IMG_8810.JPG
    Lily - she is 1/2 Red Angus, 1/4 Normande, 1/4 Jersey.
    IMG_8813.JPG
    She is on an incline in this picture.
    IMG_8812.JPG
    Gertrude, some of you may remember her. She is 1/2 Dutch Belted, 1/2 Hereford.
    IMG_8817.JPG
    IMG_8814.JPG
    And last of all, Keatha. She is mostly Angus with maybe a little bit of Hereford in the wood pile. She wasn't nursing on her mother so our friends gave her to us. She was very weak when we got her at four days old, but miraculously pulled through, and we were able to get her to nurse on Violet. :)
    IMG_8780.JPG

Sorry for all the mud - it has been raining here a lot lately.

WildRoseBeef and mysunwolf like this.
  2. Mar 19, 2017
    Goatgirl47

Once Gertrude, Lily, Tallulah and Keatha are weaned they (and Soji) will all go up to the front of our property. We were letting Soji steal milk from the cows when their calves were nursing, but then she started chewing up their teats, so it had to end. o_O

3. Mar 20, 2017
    cjc

cjc Loving the herd life

What a unique bunch you have! What kind of bull will you breed to?

Goatgirl47 likes this.
  4. Mar 20, 2017
    Goatgirl47

We don't own a bull (way too dangerous), we have our cows AI'd. The great thing about it is that you can breed your cow to almost any bull you want!
    We don't know what we will breed everybody to yet - they won't be old enough until next fall/winter so we have plenty of time - but I think that we'll breed Soji to a Red Brahman, Gertrude to a Normande, and I don't know about Lily or Tallulah yet.
    I'm still not sure whether I'll keep Keatha or not, because we are hoping to get a Murray Gray/Guernsey cow and heifer pair soon, and we might have to sell her. If I do though, I think I'll sell her as a bred heifer.

I saw your little Jersey heifer calf! So cute! :love

5. Mar 20, 2017
    cjc

cjc Loving the herd life

Lots of options for you then that's great! Where we are pure black is what sells the best so I always breed for dark solid colours for my beef herd. You got yourself a really interesting herd! So different from what we have down here. Can't wait to see it grow.

Goatgirl47 likes this.