Our Infant Son Has Brain Cancer- HOME AGAIN!!!

redtailgal

Reaction score
Hey there... Mom of the year....... :p

I used to do a little patient advocacy, and wanted to share a little info with you.

I think that if you have no lapse in coverage then you cannot be denied on a pre-exisiting condition. If you can, go ahead and get started with another insurance RIGHT NOW, to prevent a lapse in coverage.

We had to switch insurance, and due to some of my health issues, we were told NOT to go over 30 days without coverage or we would be subject to a pre existing condition clause.

If you get the run around from them, remind them that the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act that was signed into law in March 2010 completely does away with pre-existing condition requirements imposed by health plans and that law signed into place September 2010, children under 19 years old with pre-existing conditions can'tbe denied access to their parents' health plan. It also says insurance companies can no longer be allowed to insure a child, and not provide the treatments for that child's pre-existing condition.

Also, HIPPA's creditable coverage clause says that if you had a full year of health coverage and you purchase a new health plan without a break of 63 days or more, your new health plan cannot subject you to the pre-existing condition exclusion.

There are a lot of loopholes in this regulations, but, showing that you are educated in a polite and respectful way *may* help persuade the insurance company to do the right thing.

However, an insurance CAN refuse to allow you to enroll based on your sons condition, and if you do manage to enroll without informing them of the cancer, they can deny coverage.

If you run into any trouble with this, I recommend contacting PAF (Patient Advocate Foundation). here is the website: http://www.patientadvocate.org/

still cheering, hoping and praying for Spencer (and the rest of you, too). Tell lil Mr. Miracle that there are worn knees all over the world for him. I've had friends from New Guinea, Australia, Germany, Africa, and England ask for updates on him. Lol, there was an entire tribe in Africa that prayed for him last week! and now.......there are people all over the world squealing in delight with you.

:hugs

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you so much for updating us on Spencer...I know life is not easy for you right now :hugs

There is hope and I do believe in miracles and prayers. Keeping Spencer and you and your whole family in my prayers, as are many people...world wide and be encouraged with every bit of new hope that comes your way :hugs

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That is some good news.
The ins. companies can indeed be difficult to work with.
I would def. find a patient advocate to work with on this. It could help take alot of worry off your shoulders.

Rebbetzin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh my goodness! Just saw this thread. My prayers are going up for a complete recovery!
I was thinking of the Pediatric Cancer Charity by Danny Thomas, City of Hope. I don't
know if you are near any of their hospitals, but they may be able to help you with chemo
treatments. And they advertise not charging for their services.

I was healed of Leukemia when I was 13 months old. Back in 1951, there was really nothing
being done for children with Leukemia. But, I come from a family that has seen many miracles
from our gracious Heavely Father, and my healing was only through the prayers of my family.

Keep us posted as time goes by.

nawma

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hopes and prayers going out here for Spencer and the entire family. May God wrap his comforting and healing arms around your family.

Plesiosaur

Just born
Reaction score
wow--that is so wonderful!

I just wanted to give you some hope and encouragement that because he is so young, I wouldn't fret overly much about his right-side functioning. His brain is still changing and developing neural pathways, and there are many cases where surgeries that would have greatly impaired an adult are overcome by children with no long-lasting side effects. Their brains just find a new home for whatever has been damaged. Like the girl in this article has a completely normal life, with only half of her brain.

I'm still praying for you and your family. May God continue to bless you!

pridegoethb4thefall

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
New development. We are in the ER since Spencer has slept nearly all day...and his right side has no function. It was working the 3 days following surgery. Doctors are being called in. They say he is not supposed to sleep this much... hours of sleep, a few minutes awake, back to sleep. Not right....

Not feeling very good right now.