our new grullo

the funny farm6615

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
finally got the new horse delivered. he is a grullo quarter horse. and his name is rowdy.

1954_p6290005.jpg

we are getting ready to send his papers in and we need to give him a reg. name. how does everyone come up with those realy cool names on their horses papers? the ones i have thought of so far sound dumb.

Mea

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
:) A lot of names seem to be a combination of the sire and dam's names. Or a play off the sire's name.

Then again if You have a name that You like... go with that. :)

michickenwrangler

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've always thought QH names sounded dumb! They're just random ancestors strung together

Blond Peppy Badger
Poco Dandy Dude
Blackburn Bar Zip
Dunnits Pine Yahoo

Then again, we Arab people like to spell things weird and add extra letters

Kazzzaann
Monogramm
Tsultan

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to the world of horse ownership. First...Check with the AQHA regarding the rules, forms and fees for registering an older unregistered horse.

ducks4you

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
the funny farm6615 said:
How does everyone come up with those realy cool names on their horses papers?
First, a great many registered names carry either the sire's or dam's name and combine it with another name. For example, my now passed on QH's name was named "Ro Go Bar" and he was a grandson of one of the 7 foundation QH sires, "Go Man Go". I have also had several QH's whose names reflect great-great-great-great grandsires, like "Poco Bueno".

Then, people use other ways to name their horses.
My mare is named "Warren's Cindy" and the breeder's last name was "Warren."
My KMH 4 year old colt is registered as "Long Arm of the Law" which bears NO resemblence to either parent, "Buttermilk Biscuit" and "Gabbard's Black Star". Bt, KMH breeders frequently name by "tongue-incheek" names or using onomatopoeia.
When I got my Arab at an auction, he wasn't papered, so we got to name him. He was smart and got into things, we were getting into Civil War stuff, so we named him "Corporal."(RIP, 2009.) It really fit him.
I adopted a 15'hh Red Dunn (grade) QH in March. The original owner didn't bother to register him. The rescue named him "Pepper"--see pic--does he LOOK like a "Pepper" to you?
http://www.crosswindseqresq.org/photos/pepper/peppersfirstride.jpg
He reminded my of Lily Tomlin's dog, "Buster", and WE had a tan stuffed dog of the same name, so that's what we named HIM and it stuck.

Many years ago, when my 30 yr old DD was 5, (Before we got horses,) we went trail-riding in Colorado. She named ANY paint horse something-Coma, and specifically, she named a black and white paint, "Montana-Coma". We bought a big-barelled, 13'2hh brown spotted paint--big enough to be comfortable for an adult to ride, who was named "Spot" REALLY creative--blah!! We were going to re-name him "Montana-Coma", but she said we couldn't, and she named him "Toma Coma" (RIP, 2006). (He passed away a few years ago, at 35 years of age--DEFINITLY a member of the family.)

DH tacks on stable names to encourage HIS horses to behave--"Sweet William" and "Sweet Cuppin' Cakes."

We have named our dogs and other critters after:
TV show characters, like "Rose" from "Rose Tyler," (2005-2009 "Dr. WHO";
"Pygma", fancy for Pig--we call her Baby Pyg, and Pyggles, and Pyggers affectionately 'cause she's a Velco-Dog
"Xena"--obvious
"Lewis" and "Clark"--sisters from the same litter
"Favorite" and "Clever"--sister and brother cats from the same litter--she was her mother's favorite kitten because they were both tabby, and he was the first to explore
DH had a black cat once who had a litter and he named the black kitten "Xerox"
There are a lot of reasons to find to name your horse, but I would try to be a little bit more creative than Blacky, Storm, Blaze, etc.
BTW, I intend to buy an Arab weanling soon, and I'm afraid he's already been named "Trot," from the character in one of the "Oz" books. :rolleyes:

the funny farm6615

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
all the reg. horses we had in the past came allready named on their papers, and when we had babies we let the new owners name them. he is 3 and the original owners didnt send his papers in, so we get to name him. we allready called and we and are good to go to send his papers in, (since he is 3 it DOES cost quite a bit more but....) so we need to come up with a name.

he is still a stud till this fall, and my husband finally gave up and said to just name him "nuts to go" :barnie i dont know whether to laugh or cry!! but that WILL NOT be his name!!!

ducks4you

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If it makes you feel better, we have struggled with names in the past, and my Vet kids us about changing them. OUR only problem is when we use a really good name and don't keep the horse. We started called our SB "Bodie" after Bodie Miller. Now we won't be able to use the name again!!
BTW, I kinda like the stable name, "Nuts to Go." :hide

the funny farm6615

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
yes my husband thinks he is soooo smart now becouse after he is gelded, people will think he is realy fast. (hes not)

1954_p6290004.jpg