Our Parker Is Gone

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm so sorry for your loss Bay...:(:hugs
That was such a nice tribute you wrote about Parker and I know how painful and hard it must have been for you to write the tribute for him.

I feel sorry for anyone who has never known the pure love of a dog.
I agree. A dog's love is unconditional and forever!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just saw this. I am SO SO sorry Bay and BJ.
While the vet said he must have been in pain, I'm glad it was a "short" illness and he was himself almost to the last day.

I think you brought tears to a bunch of hard skinned folks that really aren't that hard skinned.
Not me, nope not me ... :hit

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm very sorry for your loss.
They become a part of the family and it's very tough to lose them.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry for your loss, Bay. Though his life was way too short, I still think Parker was a very lucky dog.

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
June 4, 2018 with grand daughter #3. She loved Parker never got enough of playing with him.

3f02ad6f-ebb6-4746-9f42-ae33f44b2f3e-jpeg.7899

We just didn't see it coming. I asked the vet if Parker had been in pain. He replied that he had to be. But Parker never showed it. He was happy, bouncy, full to the brim with life and loving every minute of it. On Sunday, July 8, 2018 we butchered chickens and Parker was right there, catching chicken guts as I tossed them in the air to him. He sure did love chicken guts and we are glad that he had that day to enjoy himself to the fullest. On Monday and Tuesday, he was fine. Wednesday evening, he was definitely sick, but we didn't know what it was. Thursday morning we were at the vet's office, Thursday night he was dead. We just didn't know, he never told us and we had no idea he was so ill. Friday we picked him up for burial. Our dear friend and neighbor Robert, came over and dug Parker's grave, then came back and helped us bury him.

We are sorely missing our friend, our boon companion, our love, our best buddy. When we got home with him, Trip walked around the truck, nose in the air. We dropped the tailgate and Trip jumped in the back of the truck. BJ opened the bag and let Trip see Parker's face. Trip carefully sniffed all around the bag, then sniffed Parker's face. He jumped down. We cried some more at the sadness of it all, stroking Parker's face and saying our goodbyes.

He was only 7 years old. It wasn't his time. It just isn't right that he should be struck down in the prime of his life. He gave so much of himself to everyone. He had more love in his heart than any dog I have ever seen or had. All he wanted was to be close to us. Our approval, affection and love is what he lived for.

This picture was taken in March. I was sitting in the dirt, working on the garden fence. Parker was helping by laying as close to me as he could get. I took this picture of the love he expressed in his eyes, what ever did I do to deserve such love and devotion?

e3abbfbb-9f53-4f4b-87ed-ea96e43721c1-jpeg.7900

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm so sorry for your loss. What an incredible tribute to a wonderful dog. He sounds like he was well loved and had a happy home. You are in my thoughts during this tough time. Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I haven't had much time to be on here. Hope all your hearts are healing.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm tearing up all over again. We have a new dog, Beaux, a Louisiana Catahoula, 6 months old. But he isn't Parker. No dog will ever be Parker. Parker goes down in the Dog Hall of Love, he can never be replaced.

In our lifetimes, we have had many dogs and will have many more dogs. That's just how it goes, we live longer than they do. But in the group of dogs, there are those special ones, those outstanding dogs that light up our lives with their presence, that give us their all, that love us unconditionally, with every cell in their body. Parker's pure joy in living each day to it's fullest is a lesson for all of us. He loved with his whole being. He loved his family, us. He would have laid down his life for us, he adored our grand daughters and children-any children. He even stepped between a neighbor and her 3 year old little boy one day when she scolded her child, and growled at her. She was amazed and delighted that he would love her boy so much that he would offer his protection, even against her! So much love, packaged up in 105 pounds of high energy and fun. He adored us and just wanted to be with us every minute of every day. Dear God, we miss him.

Tears are rolling down my face. We remind each other almost daily that we miss Parker doing this or that, his funny, quirky personality all bundled up in a bounding, goofy, happy dog. Parker was intertwined in our daily life, we weren't ready to give him up. What a huge hole in our life that can never be filled, maybe it will slowly close up and heal, much like a flesh wound does.

We all should love life and each other like Parker did.