Our rabbits are dying!

Four Winds Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sheeesh! That is horrible!! :( But, nothing you could have done about it!!!
So annoying when they change things in feeds with out notifying everyone!! :mad:
Hope you get the feed all switched around and have no more casualties!! :fl

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Quick update. We lost all 5 does that had litters nursing, the 3 that were 11.5 weeks old, and so far 6 that were under 6 weeks. My wife is giving all the young ones that look bad Bounce Back 2 times a day, but I'm not sure it is helping. We have 4 more mature bucks and does that are not eating and only drinking a minimal amount. I took a doe that died on Friday to UConn for a necropsy, along with feed and water samples for toxicology screening.

P.O. in MO

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
And if it does turn out to be the feed, the manufacturer makes it right for your losses. Please keep us informed on what you find out.

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I will definitely follow up when I have the final results of toxicology results and know for sure if it was or was not the feed.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
And if it does turn out to be the feed, the manufacturer makes it right for your losses. Please keep us informed on what you find out.
Many years ago, a friend lost a bunch of rabbits practically overnight. The animals that she lost were mostly nursing does and recently weaned juniors - the ones that would be eating the most. The problem was narrowed down to the feed; the suspicion was blister beetles (there isn't a specific test for them, at least, there wasn't at the time). The feed company was willing to pay for the lost animals, but they only wanted to pay about $1.00 per pound, the market rate for meat rabbits. She had a show herd of Netherland Dwarfs, Holland Lops, that sort of thing; many of her animals were grand champions. I don't remember just what figure they eventually settled on, but she switched feeds after that.:(

Andrei

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
First I would empty the cages and spray them with a 10% bleach solution really good.
Then I would add apple cider vinegar in their water to address intestinal bacterias.
Last I would give them dry bread with drops of propolis tincture on them.
But then I have not had a rabbit die in aprox 10 yrs.

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
[quote="Andrei, post: 346603, member: 9772"But then I have not had a rabbit die in aprox 10 yrs.[/quote]

Wow. How is life up on that high horse?

We haven't had any breeding stock keel over either. Especially not the 16 that have died so far since this started. Hence, I am posting to help others learn from what we go through. And I am spending almost $500 to analyze why it is happening to prevent recurrence. Of course, I'm probably just guessing and don't really know what I'm doing anyways.

Andrei

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I apologize.
What I said it is not true.
Most of my rabbits have a short life and end up dead and in the freezer.
Very few last 3 yrs.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I apologize.
What I said it is not true.
Most of my rabbits have a short life and end up dead and in the freezer.
Very few last 3 yrs.
I guess that your rabbits never die of old age either .

Latest posts