Our Scottish Highland Ladies

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi, All,

Here are our first two cows, both registered Scottish Highlands, both presumably pregnant (and if so, both due in November, oy!). They are a daily delight!

Picture013.jpg
Sheila of Valhalla, background, and Rustler's Bridgit, foreground

Picture005.jpg
Sheila, 4-year old cow

Picture018.jpg
Bridgit, 2-year old heifer (she has the world's biggest "cowlick!")

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Is November the normal time of year for beef animals to have their calves by you? I know here they usually have them in April/May.

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
They can calve whenever, as they're very hardy and have only about 1% instance of calving problems as a breed. I've heard this can work out well for us, since if we end up with any registered heifers for sale (bull was registered, too, so we will register any heifers we get), they'll be weaned by the time spring sales time comes around.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
so thats the reason they are calving in early winter.so you can make the sales if they have good heifers.

Chris aka Barney

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Absolutely Gorgeous! :frow I'm from Wa. too!!

amysflock said:
Hi, All,

Here are our first two cows, both registered Scottish Highlands, both presumably pregnant (and if so, both due in November, oy!). They are a daily delight!

http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r426/amysflock/Picture013.jpgSheila of Valhalla, background, and Rustler's Bridgit, foreground

http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r426/amysflock/Picture005.jpg Sheila, 4-year old cow

http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r426/amysflock/Picture018.jpg Bridgit, 2-year old heifer (she has the world's biggest "cowlick!")

allenacres

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
excuse me for butting in by the Highlands are very hearty animals and from what I have seen from other breeders in WA, they pretty much calve all year round. My girls have been calving in April, and Im trying to keep it that way as its been working for us. Although 35 degrees in the middle of the night when Im checking on a newborn is pretty dang cold! Once they dry off they are fine. Because of the very thick coat on those calves, they do well even if they are born in the fall. And W. WA is not harsh weatherwise. We do have a cold spell here and there but its pretty mild. Much like Scotland's weather I hear.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I was curious because here we get harsh winters and spring is the best time for calving.

Chris aka Barney

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
It's true Kitty,
Farmers all over Western Washington have calves at about any month of the year. It's way different in Eastern Washington. The winters are harsh....snow up to your kazoo. We are surrounded by The Olympic and Cascade Mountain Ranges. This kind of keeps Western Washington
in a protected bowl so to speak. We are up high on a plateau just before the foothills to Mt Rainer. We do have some snow, but it only lasts a day or two at the most. My daughter lives down from us in the valley. They may get a dusting..but that's it. It's a great place for chickens too!

Farmer Kitty said:
I was curious because here we get harsh winters and spring is the best time for calving.

Arctichicken

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Amysflock,

Thay are Soooooo Gorgeous. I don't have any cows...yet but really hope to get highlands next spring. I live in Alaska but I know they do well up here. I think they are the best of the best beef cattle. I'm so jealous!!! Enjoy, Stephanie :frow