Our Scottish Highland Ladies

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Actually, their coat acts as an insulator in more ways than one! Keeps them cooler when its hot and warmer in the cold. And the hair in their eyes helps protect against pink eye. Their horns also help let heat out of their bodies. On a hot day, you can grab a horn and it is HOT. Sort of like the Watusi cattle.

Anyone have Galloways? They are supposed to have very similar breed characteristics to the Highlands but without the horns. I don't think they are quite as docile, but it may depend on the breeder and if they are breeding for this characteristic.

allenacres

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Hi, folks! Hey, Barney! :frow Yep, that's me on the other forums. I don't own any cows but have always had a lifelong interest in the animal and the different breeds. I hope to get a milk cow eventually. My sister owns the Highlands also, so I did a little research on the breed and became interested.

I've often wondered why cattlemen in colder climes don't use a Highland or Galloway herd bull. When bred to a polled breed will produce polled offspring; has 98% live births due to smaller shoulders but will finish out comparable if bred to a large breed beef such as Angus; have a longer coat to insulate during colder weather, thus reducing the need for as much feed; plus the meat is more marbled due to not needing the fat on the outside for insulation. Add to this the browse factor and you have a great combination. Not to mention the gentleness of the Highland breed, making working with the bulls a more pleasant task.

I know, in the past, there was an emphasis on taller beef but I think the new trend is going back to a shorter bull. So, Highlands would be ideal, I would think.

What do you guys think? :)
I think its what you said, angus are bigger, and everyone was breeding for bigger, even the Highland folks were breeding for bigger. Americans like to "supersize" everything. But as you said folks are starting to breed smaller again. One reason is birthing problems. All this makes me pretty happy that our bull has short legs. :D

You sure know a lot about Highlands.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
My sister has some very overpriced Highlands. When she first got them she wanted my boys to show them in the fair to promote the breed in the area. So, I did a lot of research....wish she had! She seriously knows nothing about raising cattle of any breed!

I have wanted to be a farmer since I was a little girl, so a lot of my reading material centered around cattle, sheep, etc. Still does, actually! Maybe one day all that useless info will pay off... :hu

pokacow

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
BeeKissed, knowledge is never useless! What's useless is when people yap like they have a clue when they don't!! Wastes everyones time for sure! Jody

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
pokacow said:
BeeKissed, knowledge is never useless! What's useless is when people yap like they have a clue when they don't!! Wastes everyones time for sure! Jody
Very true!!!! Someday you may be able to help someone or one of your own animals due to that knowledge. Having the knowledge on hand before a situation arises save time. If it's an emergency it save valuable time.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
So...reading all of James Herriotts novels will someday pay off? :D :lol: :lol: Love and miss that man dreadfully. If you've never read them, they are the greatest!

This forum needs more folks, don't you think? How can we entice the BYC people into coming over and nattering over the backyard fence? :)

allenacres

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I read all those books too and LOVED them. And I agree with Kitty, info we think is useless someday comes in handy. It came in handy when I had to pull a calf this past april,....I think it was a James Harriot story, could have been another great vet story book that I read.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
This forum needs more folks, don't you think? How can we entice the BYC people into coming over and nattering over the backyard fence? :)
Anytime I find a cow thread on BYChickens I mention BYCows. It's amazing how many times I've seen (in PM's and postings), "I didn't know about BYCows" or "We don't have cows yet, but, I would like one/some".

Here's the little character I use for BYCows:
Cowsmiley-2.jpg

Feel free to use it too!

Latest posts