Our Steer is Here!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
One of these times, go by a truck stop with scales, and get them to weigh the truck and trailer so you have a "base weight". Then the next time you take an animal, all you have to do is go by and get a loaded weight and you will have a pretty accurate weight on the animal/s in the trailer. Or you can take it loaded and then weigh after you unload on the way home, same trip, to know. Yeah, it costs a couple dollars to get a weight... if you go back within 24 hours it is a "reweigh" and usually only costs another dollar to do. But this will give you a lot better idea of weight.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
One of these times, go by a truck stop with scales, and get them to weigh the truck and trailer so you have a "base weight". Then the next time you take an animal, all you have to do is go by and get a loaded weight and you will have a pretty accurate weight on the animal/s in the trailer. Or you can take it loaded and then weigh after you unload on the way home, same trip, to know. Yeah, it costs a couple dollars to get a weight... if you go back within 24 hours it is a "reweigh" and usually only costs another dollar to do. But this will give you a lot better idea of weight.
That’s what we did with Wilbur, the 500 pound boar that turned out to weigh 820 pounds! His hanging weight was 506. He was a BIG BOY.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hanging weight is usually about 55-65% average... I would say since he was a little young that he weighed 900+/-.... need to see how much fat cover he had.... younger will have more bone than meat(muscle) .... but will be tender....
How old was he? Yeah I'd say in the 850-950 range probably... MAYBE 1,000 but.....

I'm better at looking at an animal and guessing live weight....

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hanging weight is usually about 55-65% average... I would say since he was a little young that he weighed 900+/-.... need to see how much fat cover he had.... younger will have more bone than meat(muscle) .... but will be tender....
How old was he? Yeah I'd say in the 850-950 range probably... MAYBE 1,000 but.....

I'm better at looking at an animal and guessing live weight....

He was 17 months old, friend that we bought him from guessed between 900 and 1,000 pounds.