Out of feed and it's the weekend -- substitutes

Shiloh Acres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have a female, possibly pregnant, and the feed store just closed and I don't have enough of her regular feed. Slight emergency earlier, and I JUST remembered.

She has a good quality free choice hay, but scarfs her pellets like she's starving.

I have rabbit pellets, layer pellets, kid and lamb (which does have copper) and a bit of leftover grain for dairy cows/goats. I also have calf manna. And other stuff like non-grain based catfood and dogfood, and hen scratch. I think that's it.

Am I right in thinking NONE of this is suitable, except calf manna as a top dressing only? Sigh. She's a picky eater regarding scraps. She'll eat fresh pulled grass from my hand but nothing from the kitchen that I've ever found.

I feel bad with her having nothing but hay and browse for a few days tho.

Any suggestions?

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
If it's just for the weekend, I don't see why you couldn't use the lamb feed. Two day's worth of the wrong feed couldn't do too much damage, could it?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
My suggestion would be that she would be fine for a couple of days without her grain. I don't give my alpacas grain every day anymore. If you really want to give her something, maybe a handful of calf manna.

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would go with the calf manna but for 2 days you need not worry

Shiloh Acres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks y'all.

She lies the calf manna. I was concerned about giving her too much. It seems to increase appetite and she already dances around me like crazy when I have a feed bucket. She makes me feel guilty like I am starving her, LOL.

She does have the hay free choice and lays next to the bale most of the day, just munching. She won't let me get a good feel of her under that wool except around her head so I'm not sure of her condition, though judging by the muscle on her legs I THINK she's ok.

She's just so excited about food I feel terrible for depriving her for a few days.

Thanks all. :)