Overbaked litter and a kit with a deformed ear.

GypsyG

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I don't know what caused the ear deformity. It could be recessive genes from the buck and doe matched up and this kit is the result. In any case, it is not one that would be suitable for breeding. Have you bred this buck and doe together before?
Yes. This is the fourth litter they have produced for me. There have never been any issues with them before. She usually has giant litters of fat healthy babies. The only thing odd about any of them is about half the does she produces have an extra pair of nipples.

This is her smallest litter, it's the first time she's gone overdue, It's the first deformity, and the first oddball false charlie kit. There are so many things odd about this litter I'm wondering if any of it might be connected.

She's between 2-1/2 and 3 years old. The buck is getting older, hes 6-1/2. I don't know if that would make any difference.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Extra nipples on does from a mother that averages 14 seems like a good idea to me, provided they work and if you don't show. I wonder if she went over because she had the room and the ear kit was just a freak incident. The surprise color is nice.

But I've sworn off rabbits so what do I know? :idunno

GypsyG

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Extra nipples on does from a mother that averages 14 seems like a good idea to me, provided they work and if you don't show. I wonder if she went over because she had the room and the ear kit was just a freak incident. The surprise color is nice.

But I've sworn off rabbits so what do I know? :idunno
Why have you sworn off of rabbits?

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Why have you sworn off of rabbits?
I'm allergic to rabbit urine and poo. I might be allergic to rabbit meat too. I'm also allergic to pigs, pig excrement, and pork (and cats and cat pee/poo but I get off easy there because we don't eat cats), so it's nothing personal against rabbits. I just got tired of the itching and sneezing if the cage was let to get the slightest bit dirty. I was changing litter boxes and washing pans daily. Going any longer than that would make me ill. De-rabbiting made the kids unhappy, so after several months of complaining I went on Craigslist and found them a pair of middle aged dollar female guinea pigs listed by a kid that got bored of them, and my kids love them, so that formalizes our swearing off of rabbits. So I guess we're done (my mother, on the other hand, will probably never be done, despite having the same allergies, she just added face masks to her pan cleaning gear and takes allergy drugs on cleaning day, but I'm not that dedicated). Totally a side note. Sorry to derail this train of thought.

GypsyG

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm allergic to rabbit urine and poo. I might be allergic to rabbit meat too. I'm also allergic to pigs, pig excrement, and pork (and cats and cat pee/poo but I get off easy there because we don't eat cats), so it's nothing personal against rabbits. I just got tired of the itching and sneezing if the cage was let to get the slightest bit dirty. I was changing litter boxes and washing pans daily. Going any longer than that would make me ill. De-rabbiting made the kids unhappy, so after several months of complaining I went on Craigslist and found them a pair of middle aged dollar female guinea pigs listed by a kid that got bored of them, and my kids love them, so that formalizes our swearing off of rabbits. So I guess we're done (my mother, on the other hand, will probably never be done, despite having the same allergies, she just added face masks to her pan cleaning gear and takes allergy drugs on cleaning day, but I'm not that dedicated). Totally a side note. Sorry to derail this train of thought.
LOL, I'm the one who got you derailed. We do that a lot around here, it's ok. :cool: