Overweight Miniature gelding.

Ezio

Just born
Reaction score
My miniature gelding, Patch, needs a weight loss plan. When the vet was out in June, he said patch was 50lbs overweight, but was otherwise in good health. Patch gets a microscopic amount of grain per day (All Stock Feed, will be changing to something better when I can find it) and free choice coastal hay, plus a mineral block. Vet said to keep feeding grain, couldn't name a good brand for mini's (I'm the only one who has asked him and he is not well versed in miniature nutrition needs). None of the feed stores around me carry Purina Mini and Pony feed.
He gets lunged every other day for 30 minutes at the walk, trot and (rarely) canter. He is not kept in a stall and has 2 acres to roam with his herd of goats.

What are the best commercial grain options?

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am a member of a miniature horse forum (though I must admit, I haven't been there in ages). If you were to ask there, you'd probably get told about dozens of different feeding programs! :th I know of some members that didn't feed grain at all. A lot of minis are fed grass and/or hay only; some will give a supplement called a ration balancer to make sure the diet meets all of the mini's nutritional needs. A lot of minis get kept on dry lots at least part of the day, because free choice grass or hay is still too much food.

If you just want to keep the hay in front of this guy, a slow feeder might be an option. Slow feeders have holes that only allow a little bit of hay to be exposed, so the animal has to work to get the hay out instead of grabbing mouthfuls. For a mini, the holes should be about 2" x 2".

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
How old is your mini?

My mini gelding is with two ponies on about 2.5 acres of pasture/brush/woods. He doesn't get any grain - none of them do, as long as they maintain their weight on pasture, hay and a salt/mineral block. (I will probably start giving my oldest one some grain this fall, she just turned 25). I ride the ponies (not as often as I wish I had time for), and I drive my mini.

They get hay, but not free choice - they share a few flakes morning and evening - less or none when the grazing is good, more in the winter. Enough that they clean it up in about 2 or 3 hours, max. If I ever had to dry-lot a horse or pony, I'd probably feed smaller amounts more frequently, but still not free choice, unless they really needed the calories.

Personally, I'd cut the grain entirely, unless there's a clear reason he needs it (curious what reason did the vet give?). Just like people, exercise is good too - you can take him walking or jogging with you if you have trails or safe roads - gets him out and about, used to different things, and it's great for practicing leading manners! Depending on his age, you can also start line-driving training, and then driving - if you've never done it, find someone experienced to help you or take lessons from. There may be a driving club in your area, too - google 'driving club' and your state.

Good luck with your boy!

Ezio

Just born
Reaction score
norseofcourse said:
How old is your mini?

My mini gelding is with two ponies on about 2.5 acres of pasture/brush/woods. He doesn't get any grain - none of them do, as long as they maintain their weight on pasture, hay and a salt/mineral block. (I will probably start giving my oldest one some grain this fall, she just turned 25). I ride the ponies (not as often as I wish I had time for), and I drive my mini.

They get hay, but not free choice - they share a few flakes morning and evening - less or none when the grazing is good, more in the winter. Enough that they clean it up in about 2 or 3 hours, max. If I ever had to dry-lot a horse or pony, I'd probably feed smaller amounts more frequently, but still not free choice, unless they really needed the calories.

Personally, I'd cut the grain entirely, unless there's a clear reason he needs it (curious what reason did the vet give?). Just like people, exercise is good too - you can take him walking or jogging with you if you have trails or safe roads - gets him out and about, used to different things, and it's great for practicing leading manners! Depending on his age, you can also start line-driving training, and then driving - if you've never done it, find someone experienced to help you or take lessons from. There may be a driving club in your area, too - google 'driving club' and your state.

Good luck with your boy!
On the hay, he gets a few flakes a day, not a whole bale. Sorry about the way I phrased that. He also shares his hay with 6 goats, so he's not the only one eating it. He is basically on a dry lot right now, we are in a bad drought.

The reason for the grain (he literaly gets 10 small pellets twice a day) is because the vet wanted to make sure he was getting adequate vitamins/minerals. The grain is the only "treat" he gets.

The road near my house is not safe (speeding cars, loose dogs and kids running wild), the loose dogs, bad footing make the woods a no go. I couldn't find any active driving clubs, plus I can't afford it right now.

violetsky888

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It is my understanding that minis develop a "pot belly" when they don't get enough protein in their diet and don't really do that well on pasture. I"m having the same problem with
an over weight yearling filly I recently bought. I started to worry she was pregnant but after researching the big belly problem, it appears to be a common problem with young mini horses
relating to a low protein diet. That said adding alfalfa and high protein grain to her diet has not shrunk my filly down. Several sources said it's counterintuitive but you should
feed them more quality foods, and they actually do poorly on pasture. If you figure out the right formula for feeding minis please let me know. I wormed my filly and gave her a mineral
block and quality feed and now she is really blimping out.

CritterZone

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
You could go with a ration balancer if you are concerned he isn't getting the vitamins he needs. I don't know if anyone makes one specifically for minis, but if not, you could feed according to weight. If you offer free choice minerals that shouldn't be a problem.