Pack Goats

Jake

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Someone had a post asking about pack goats.

There is a very active pack goat group, most active in the NW but members all across the country with a very good monthly newsletter.

Just google Goat Tracks and that will give you the link to the newsletter. There also several good books for those new to Pack Goats.

Goats are great animals for back packers who want to carry more.

Jake Levi
Mikado, MI

Good luck,

kinder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi Jake :frow Ya that was me in the hobby section. I would like to train my goats for being handled and mobile. Packing is healthy for them. Especially when they are confined to a smaller area, like my 1 acre. My urban Kinder ! lol.:love.Thanks Jake....Do you goat pack ?

Jake

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Too long in replying, but......

My main interest is packing, although health issues curtailed it, I am now starting over, from sctach, but, in one way it will work as I can now focus on what I really want to do, breeding pack goats.

There is an excellent pack goat monthly put out by my friend Larry Robinson in ID, Larry packs and has several very well trained packers.

I have visited him and he and his wife are avid packers, Larry is in a great state for extended and weekend pack trips. But you have some great places to hike also, plus over the border into NY and the Adirondacks.

I will post the email later but you can google North American PackGoat Assn and get them.

My goal right now is to find some good grade Boer or Kiko doelings to breed to a Kiko buckling. I am hoping to find some here in MI but will drive to nearby states, or, pay shipping on some kids. I'd love to find 3 nice doelings and a good Kiko buck.

There are several makers of pack goat harnesses and packs, some very nice equipment. Two pack goats can carry all anyone needs for a nice extended weekends camping trip. 3 good mature pack goats can carry what a pack horse can. And go places the horse wont, or shouldnt.

I'll try not to be so slow next time .

kinder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I sure hear that!! I'm going to travel to Pa. to pick up my Kinders. Because Pa. is the closes breeder I'm getting 2 bucks and 3 does, actually they all will be babies except for a year old buck. So I think I will have a good chance to train. I had thought I would start with a lead of some sort to get them use to being walked around 1 at a time, then attach them some how behind each other by 2zys at a time and so on, then get them use to the packs, then add weight. But I'm wondering if the packs should come sooner ?? I would like to get some 4-H ers involved, it would be great because there is nothing like it around. I have not done any extensive researching yet, because I've been really busy lately, but it is in my next phase of research. In addition to the goats I am getting into Wyandotte chickens, and I'm still working on famillarizing myself with the different medications, and their usages. Hey Jake!! Do you think Kinders would be good for packing ? I should have asked you that be for. By the way I'm Mary,:frow. Till next time, take care....

Jake

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi Mary

What breed of goats are you getting? Hard to believe there arnt goats closer, I know there are many in NYS.

Very few trail pack goats on purpose, they do best if they can sort out their own trail order, so folks pick who the leader is, and halter him and teach him to trail that way, the rest will take up place behind him. Once he knows the routine then just walk on ahead of him and they will trail out, in a goat fashion, there will be some swapping etc but once you get into hills etc they will have their own order sorted out.

Goats shouldnt have to carry weight until the their 2nd year, and then not a full load. Little guys can learn to wear a pack, empty, from the beginning. Its great training to learn to maneuver through and around brush. They will need some help like all youngsters. After they are 6-8 mos old They could carry a water bottle etc, theirs. And then one for you. Also treats/snacks etc. But not a full camping load until they are preferably 3 yr olds. This is conservative. If they carry too much weight early on it can put too much strain on their lower legs and spines. Let them get some growth on first, but get them out onto lots of trails, just for fun.

The Pack Goat Forum has a lot of good training info, and some real actual pros and a lot of dedicated hikers. A good group. You can pick up a LOT of info there in a very short time.

I hope to see more interest here also. Its a fun hobby and past time.

Jake

kinder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Kinder Goats....there is a breeders association that I soon will be a part of. They are a great all in one goat, and very hard to find. That's why I will travel for them. I looked into that sight, and I love it. Lots of info....And I browsed at the supplies, a little pricey for me, but that's because its good quality. That's ok!!! I have my ways of getting what I want. :lol:.LOL......Mary

Jake

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have no experience with the Kinder goat breed, havent seen a live one yet. When you said Kinder before I thought that you were referring to kids, I know people who refer to their kid goats as kinder.

For my purposes I want a big, tall and long bodied goat, to carry a pack. A rule of thumb is a load of 25% of their body weight, so on a youngster whose joints havent matured even a 10lb load is getting up there fast.

This is why I am planning on Kiko/Boer cross. Both breeds were developed to range out for their living, and both have fast growth rates. Two other breeds that make good pack goats are the Alpine and Saanens. I have seen some very nice Obers too. But whatever breed that the owner will spend time with and train them will do well. I dont know how the minis and dwarf breeds would do but for sure they'd enjoy the hiking.

Jake

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have no experience with the Kinder goat breed, havent seen a live one yet. When you said Kinder before I thought that you were referring to kids, I know people who refer to their kid goats as kinder.

For my purposes I want a big, tall and long bodied goat, to carry a pack. A rule of thumb is a load of 25% of their body weight, so on a youngster whose joints havent matured even a 10lb load is getting up there fast.

This is why I am planning on Kiko/Boer cross. Both breeds were developed to range out for their living, and both have fast growth rates. Two other breeds that make good pack goats are the Alpine and Saanens. I have seen some very nice Obers too. But whatever breed that the owner will spend time with and train them will do well. I dont know how the minis and dwarf breeds would do but for sure they'd enjoy the hiking.

Jake

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi Mary
I got your post on PM email, ref Kinders, I am going to look them up, I am curious now. Pa isnt a real hard drive for me if its on the western half, I have family in upstate NY I can visit, and swing through Pa coming home. Cleveland is about an 8 hr drive for me. My goal this year is to get 2-3 does, all to breed to Kiko.

kinder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ya ...But look them up at the breeders association. You'll get more there.Also Kinder goats .org has some interesting things too.