Paint pony

Countrymom

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I sure hope he is better than what I have experienced with Amish training. Make sure your pony gets feed and such while she is there. Honestly, make sure. I had to help a young man from that Amish part of the country to learn how to handle a horse. He was daring alright and had saddle broke, but no handle and no idea of how to. His father is still there training horses. Sigh

Horsiezz

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Warped said:
We have an amish neighbor that is going to train her. he has trained 4 of my uncles horses and 2 of his ponies. he's great with them.
He charges $10 a day but my husband is doing some work for him so they bartered a deal where he will work with her and get her broke in exchange for the work my hubby has done for him. he knows his stuff.
I watched him saturday work with my aunts Paint. he was great with him. So i am going to use him.And he lives across the road from us.:D
We have an Amish farrier. haha. Hes a really nice guy. And pretty darn funny for an Amish fellow. :lol:
I have always heard that Amish trainers are bad..?
Hmm..:/ never had an Amish trainer before so I really cant say so myself. Just be careful,and check up on the horse every day or so.
Good luck!

ducks4you

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I also have an Amish farrier. I got so tired of losing my farrier every few years. They would quit because of a bad back, or go to a different job--I wanted someone who would keep at it as long as I kept my horses. I paid them all on time, no bounced checks, And, my horses are ALL good with their feet!! ...go figure...
After a year of my DD and I both working on one foot at a time--how many of us does it really take to "change a lightbulb"--I found this guy, about a hour away. He also trains riding/driving horses. I don't think you can claim that they are all good or all bad. For instance, I bought oak chairs from an Amish shop, and they're falling apart. On the other hand, I waited 6 months for an appointment with a comptetitor of my farrier years ago--he was VERY FAST, VERY ACCURATE. Mine is very accurate, but it takes a day to shoe all 4 horses. He's picky. BUT, he's also a good trainer. We've been doing business with the Amish for 25 years now. They are slowly moving into the 19th-20th century. In the 1980's they didn't even use telephones, now they have answering machines. :lol: By 2050, I think they'll be driving cars. I know that my farrier has his eye on my Cummins diesel, 4-wheel drive, doolie!! :lol:

Horsiezz

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
I also have an Amish farrier. I got so tired of losing my farrier every few years. They would quit because of a bad back, or go to a different job--I wanted someone who would keep at it as long as I kept my horses. I paid them all on time, no bounced checks, And, my horses are ALL good with their feet!! ...go figure...
After a year of my DD and I both working on one foot at a time--how many of us does it really take to "change a lightbulb"--I found this guy, about a hour away. He also trains riding/driving horses. I don't think you can claim that they are all good or all bad. For instance, I bought oak chairs from an Amish shop, and they're falling apart. On the other hand, I waited 6 months for an appointment with a comptetitor of my farrier years ago--he was VERY FAST, VERY ACCURATE. Mine is very accurate, but it takes a day to shoe all 4 horses. He's picky. BUT, he's also a good trainer. We've been doing business with the Amish for 25 years now. They are slowly moving into the 19th-20th century. In the 1980's they didn't even use telephones, now they have answering machines. :lol: By 2050, I think they'll be driving cars. I know that my farrier has his eye on my Cummins diesel, 4-wheel drive, doolie!! :lol:
Haha! :lol:
Our farrier,hes a really nice guy. He lives about an hour away,really good with the horses,and affordable. You cant go wrong with him. The only thing bad,is at our boarding barn someone always has to take him home...and nobody wants to cuz he lives far. But he went on a group trail ride for our boarding barn last year,and my family took him out to dinner a month ago when we were taking him home. We were talking to him about a new shoe-its plastic and they come in clear,black,lime gren,hot pink,blue,purple,orange,aqua,and red. (I got lime green to match my tack of course. :p) and he said "Yup! There good shoes. I have hot pink on 1 of me buggy horses. 4 different colors on thee otheer!" :lol: Thats pretty funny coming from an Amish fellow. You know most people wouldnt think Amish would have bright colors like that. It kind of shocked me,but hey Aiden isn't like most Amish. haha!
BTW,I saw him at our boarding barn today! He trimmed 5 or 6 horses,put shoes on 1 and it took about 3-4 hours.
I am not trying to say that they are all bad-but I heard from a friend of mine that she had an Amish couple train her horse,and he was beaten. So it kind of makes me nervous. :/

ducks4you

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I think that their lifestyle makes people either suspect of cult behavior or some people revere them--both are unfair. They have as many "dogs" and "saints" as the rest of us. If they EVER give up their horses, we will have a lost a resource, because I believe that we get to see horse-training before cars were invented, both the good and the bad.
I found my farrier through somebody else, who was thinking about buying a horse from his brother. I got my farrier's business card, called, and the rest is history. BTW, he always returns my calls.
Talk about bad behavior, the previous farrier wouldn't return 3 months full of messages that I left. I found him through my Vet, and I finally asked her if this guy had died! I really would have appreciated a call back, or vm, to tell me that he no longer had time or wanted to do business with me--I didn't need an explanation of why, but it's puzzling. Funny, there's another guy (in his early 20's now) that I was buying hay from--again, no bad checks, and I would drive over to stack and pick up--and HE's stopped returning calls. I finally found somebody else who WANTED to sell me hay. Boy, you'd think I had halotosis or warts, or something...

Horsiezz

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
I think that their lifestyle makes people either suspect of cult behavior or some people revere them--both are unfair. They have as many "dogs" and "saints" as the rest of us. If they EVER give up their horses, we will have a lost a resource, because I believe that we get to see horse-training before cars were invented, both the good and the bad.
I found my farrier through somebody else, who was thinking about buying a horse from his brother. I got my farrier's business card, called, and the rest is history. BTW, he always returns my calls.
Talk about bad behavior, the previous farrier wouldn't return 3 months full of messages that I left. I found him through my Vet, and I finally asked her if this guy had died! I really would have appreciated a call back, or vm, to tell me that he no longer had time or wanted to do business with me--I didn't need an explanation of why, but it's puzzling. Funny, there's another guy (in his early 20's now) that I was buying hay from--again, no bad checks, and I would drive over to stack and pick up--and HE's stopped returning calls. I finally found somebody else who WANTED to sell me hay. Boy, you'd think I had halotosis or warts, or something...
Man that gets me mad...Our old farrier,wouldnt return our calls,and when he finally came to trim our horses and shoe,our horses HATE him,and my one mare tried to bite him. Well she barely missed,and I corrected her. Apparently not good enough,because this guy grabbed her head,and bit this huge chunk of her ear out. Yes,BIT! Blood as everywhere,and everone who saw it was shocked. If I remember right I think she kicked him after that. Which serves him right. We didnt know what to say...well lets skip ahead,we cancelled our next appointment,canceled the check we gave him,and told him to never come back. He was VERY VERY lucky we didnt sue him. But We were thinking about it,oh yes indeed! Our horse is still a bit head shy today from it,but she doesnt have a prob with our amish farrier.