Pale eye color

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Selling a sheep in a few days.
Got the vet's all clear 2wks ago.
Last week, dewormed the flock since a couple were showing worms in poop.
All eyes a healthy color last week.
Will do second dose next week on flock. But checked the sold ewe and she has pale color! =0 Dewormed her just now instead of having buyer do it on scheduled time.
Used Valbazen on them.

Should I use another wormer on the sold ewe tomorrow or tell the buyer to redo worming in 2wks with another wormer?

Never had sheep with pale eyes, light pink, but not white.

Sold ewe is acting normal, eating and drinking normally, friendly like always, sticking with the flock like normal, poop normal.

Should I be freaking out or what? I cannot exchange the ewe, no others.

I have 5% cattle Ivermectin. I've cut it before to use as a topical down to a 1%. Can I do the same with cooking oil and drench her with it? Or should I go out and find a 1% or the sheep 0.8%?

Or maybe Moxidectin?

My stores carry nothing for sheep, have to special order everything....

Last edited:

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
First, don't freak out! Second, Valbazen doesn't hit barber pole worms (main reason for anemia and pale eye color), and most worms are now resistant to Ivermectin products. We use Levamisole as our clear wormer now for that reason, and it works great.

I wouldn't worm with anything else, and instead would recommend to the buyer to use Levamisole once the sheep are on their property for quarantine. She won't improve color within a day. You could drench her with an iron mix vitamin drench. We give iron injections to severely anemic sheep, though our vet has explained that this is not a good long-term practice.

From the other side, I unknowingly purchased a severely anemic ewe in January and she is still giving me anemia troubles, though she is perfectly healthy. It would have been nice to know before I bought her so that I could better prepare a treatment regimen. Hopefully your buyer will feel the same way.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
From what I understand, the pros recommend checking goats for possible blooms once relocated... is it the same with sheep? can stress cause a bloom?

If so, you might just continue with your planned regimen and recommend that the buyer do a fecal a week or so after purchase and treat accordingly... Explain to them about stress blooms and why you are recommending it. Maybe tied in with what @mysunwolf said above?

Latest posts