Pallet wood revamp

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
You said you wanted to be picked on and that's all I could find. It really does look great. What good is furniture if it can't be used? Glad the dogs are getting some fun and use out of it! Furniture is meant to be "used"! Never did understand formal furniture for show only... what a waste.

WantonWoodsman

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You said you wanted to be picked on and that's all I could find. It really does look great. What good is furniture if it can't be used? Glad the dogs are getting some fun and use out of it! Furniture is meant to be "used"! Never did understand formal furniture for show only... what a waste.
Thank you for picking on me....lol. I really was wondering if I should do the bench seats. You motivated me.:woot

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
My gosh, that looks wonderful! You can tell a lot of hard work went into it.

I understand what you mean when you say you're never satisfied with anything, I do the same sometimes. It's perfect just as it is :) , but if you want to fiddle...

Use a router to round the top edges for comfort.
Paint vines or flowers or celtic knotwork all around the edges (the top edge or the side edge).
Do some bas-relief carving on the top or side edges (although carving on the top would be harder to keep clean).

All that stuff is probably better done on your next one, since you've already finished this one with the linseed oil.

I have access to pallets (and have gotten many, mostly for stacking hay on), but I don't have the time, skills, or tools to do much with them. How do you get them apart without destroying the wood where the nails are? Got any ideas for an easy first project with pallet wood?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Indeed... they don't put them together to be easily disassembled, that's for sure!

WantonWoodsman

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My gosh, that looks wonderful! You can tell a lot of hard work went into it.

I understand what you mean when you say you're never satisfied with anything, I do the same sometimes. It's perfect just as it is :) , but if you want to fiddle...

Use a router to round the top edges for comfort.
Paint vines or flowers or celtic knotwork all around the edges (the top edge or the side edge).
Do some bas-relief carving on the top or side edges (although carving on the top would be harder to keep clean).

All that stuff is probably better done on your next one, since you've already finished this one with the linseed oil.

I have access to pallets (and have gotten many, mostly for stacking hay on), but I don't have the time, skills, or tools to do much with them. How do you get them apart without destroying the wood where the nails are? Got any ideas for an easy first project with pallet wood?
Thank you for your awesome ideas. I now have an itching feeling that won't go away....lol. I wish I had access to pallets. I would be hacking at them with a frenzy. Okay......I don't have specific tools to get them apart, so my method may seem very primitive, but hey...it works for me. I use an old axe and small hammer. Instead of trying to pry the wood apart...I simply place the axe blade where the wood touches and with a few light taps...I slice through the nails. I remove the remaining pieces of nail by gently tapping them out with a blunt nail. Will upload a pic as soon as my hands have defrosted. As far as ideas go.....tabletop, planter or maybe a rustic headboard. My next pallet project would be another Adirondack chair.....

Oh before I go....I may have some tools, but have reasons that prevent me from using them

WP_20160823_001.jpg

Last edited: