Palomino's Training Journal-A New Chapter...Finally!

Palomino

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Love it! Look at that tuck! :love
He has always had that form! My other horses had to learn it, but he's a born jumper. Because of that, and his smaller size, he will be the one attempting the world records.

He has WINGS!
I'm starting to think Pegasus is in his pedigree!!

Last edited:

Palomino

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Very nice. I belonged to a 4-H club as a kid that were all english riders and several did some jumping. I rode western.... but I admire jumpers and your minis seem to really love it. Great that you can direct their energy into something that they seem to enjoy doing.
How nice! I've always loved watching full size jumpers, but these minis are a little safer for me 😅.
Oh Yes, Jumping is definitely something they have to love to succeed at shows. There really is no way to push them that high if they don't want to. I've found that on average, geldings and stallions have the best minds for it. With a few exceptions, mares just don't care for it. There are many who will do Hunter, but relatively few go on to excel at jumper. I've only worked with one mare who has the same competitive mind for jumping as my geldings and is never moody. She is extremely special to me because of that.

Last edited:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mares are smart.... they figure they don't have to "prove anything" by jumping higher..... :lol: :lol: :gig:gig:gig Silly boys always trying to outdo......
Seriously, the most successful were the geldings and stallions (if they kept their mind on the job), in the full sized hunter jumper competitions. I never got into it too much, but still love to watch it. Especially like the cross country courses.

Palomino

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Mares are smart.... they figure they don't have to "prove anything" by jumping higher..... :lol: :lol: :gig:gig:gig Silly boys always trying to outdo......
Seriously, the most successful were the geldings and stallions (if they kept their mind on the job), in the full sized hunter jumper competitions. I never got into it too much, but still love to watch it. Especially like the cross country courses.
That is so true!:lol: Most of the mares I worked with were "underachievers." Great for driving, good for Hunter, iffy for obstacle, but jumper was a no. Then I've seen a World Champion mare decide to wreck the Hunter course after winning a few days earlier. I must say I was happy to see that because she had beaten us before, but in that class, we placed 3rd.

My little gelding is a complete show off! Still thinks he's a stallion, so sometimes he decides not to focus, especially in driving, but jumps are a magnet. He thinks I slow him down too much and would gladly run the course without me. The other just wants to please me and likes to work.

I wish the mini classes had more obstacles like those in the full size Hunter classes. They are supposed to, but they are usually the same jumps used for jumper. In-hand obstacle has more challenges like those found in cross country.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a lot of respect for your training.
Do you do competitive driving through an obstacle course like this?
(internet image)
1608746824933.png

Palomino

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have a lot of respect for your training.
Do you do competitive driving through an obstacle course like this?
(internet image)
View attachment 79739
Thanks! It can be a challenge sometimes!

No, that is CDE driving. It is the driving version of 3 day eventing. First event is driving dressage, then trail driving through woods, streams, bridges, etc. and finally, a timed pattern of cones or obstacles in an arena. The timed obstacle is the event in the picture.
I've looked into it, but you need a special cart and harness for it and it can quickly become expensive. Usually people either do CDE or sanctioned shows because of the cost. CDE is a very popular competition around the country though. One day I might try it!

Palomino

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
He is stunning. I ride dressage with my cob.
Thank you! I love dressage. What level do you ride at?

The stallion is actually going to be starting in-hand dressage soon. We don't have classes here, but in Europe and Australia, they have several division at their shows for long line dressage with the minis. It is very impressive. I don't think we'll be up to their level anytime soon though!