Palomino's Training Journal-A New Chapter...Finally!

Palomino

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Screenshot 2021-01-07 at 11.16.25.png

The official applications for the World records are in! Now we wait for authorization to make the documented attempts. We should receive the authorization by May.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
These contests are expansions of things not available when I was involved in shows back in 90s. Glad to see that the minis are still working toward expansion of the opportunities to enjoy these great little horses. Geesh, that was 25 yrs ago :oops:

Honestly, my real desire for these little ones began when I was maybe 8-10 yrs old. Both my parents were from WV and I was born there. Dad was in the Navy and stationed in Norfolk, VA. Travelling to family visits in WV, we went thru areas of coal mines. Waaaay back then they still used mine ponies. The Spring brought fields of mares and foals to pull off road and watch. Those tiny foals made such a desire in me that many, many years later minis were a passion. Yes, my own tiny foals to hug! :love. My own farm. I had fulfilled my dreams. I can attest that childhood can mold our futures. Yeah, several riding horses were part of my life, too. Now, I still embrace farm and self provisions with remembrances of the background of my early years.

I will be rooting for you and your horses. Where will the competition be held?

Palomino

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
These contests are expansions of things not available when I was involved in shows back in 90s. Glad to see that the minis are still working toward expansion of the opportunities to enjoy these great little horses. Geesh, that was 25 yrs ago :oops:

Honestly, my real desire for these little ones began when I was maybe 8-10 yrs old. Both my parents were from WV and I was born there. Dad was in the Navy and stationed in Norfolk, VA. Travelling to family visits in WV, we went thru areas of coal mines. Waaaay back then they still used mine ponies. The Spring brought fields of mares and foals to pull off road and watch. Those tiny foals made such a desire in me that many, many years later minis were a passion. Yes, my own tiny foals to hug! :love. My own farm. I had fulfilled my dreams. I can attest that childhood can mold our futures. Yeah, several riding horses were part of my life, too. Now, I still embrace farm and self provisions with remembrances of the background of my early years.

I will be rooting for you and your horses. Where will the competition be held?
I think you would be surprised if you attended a show now. They are not nearly as extensive and prestigious as they used to be. They are struggling to keep the Get of Sire class at World, which used to be one of the most coveted awards. Over 20 years ago, it had 30+ entries. Now they are lucky to get 3. Carriage classes in particular have declined in interest, mostly as some of the older exhibitors retired. Now the focus is on halter and driving for trainers and breeders, but they still have hunter, jumper, obstacle and liberty as well for those who just want to have fun.

Those must be such wonderful memories! I was 11 when I was first introduced to minis, but it was several years before I got a few as pets. Then I was into other livestock for quite awhile until I finally sold them and switched to registered minis to show. I would love to have my own foals!! BUT, that is the problem, I could never sell them!! I don't think I've ever had a horse I didn't love. There is always something they can do, and I would just have to keep them to train and show etc. :hide

Thank you!! This is not an actual competition for the records, which are held by Guinness. It will just be a well documented, officially authorized attempt. If the Regional AMHA show is held in July in Belton, Texas, it will be easiest to do it in one of the arenas since they will have plenty of videographers, witnesses and photographers. If it is canceled, we will attempt it at home and have to arrange to document it there. I hope they don't have to cancel Regionals though.

Last edited:

Palomino

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Screenshot_20210109-151026_2.png

Normally I am very picky about getting pictures of the horse directly over the jump, but I thought I would share this video snapshot from today to show the timing and effort on the part of the horse that goes into clearing the 41" jump ahead of him. Unlike full size horses being ridden, who are easier to cue, the minis have to rely entirely on their own judgement for take off. In this picture it seems incredible to think that he could clear the jump, but he can and does!