Parasite Control

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
http://vet.osu.edu/sites/default/files/ 2%29_0.pdf Sheepgirl. Sheep and Goat Parasite Control: A Decison-Making Tool
This starts with pasture management. While it specifically addresses sheep and goats, seems as though it would be a good starting point for any animal. Some questions to ask yourself and places to start!

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Pig De-Wormer: mix 2 tablespoons of Diatamaceous earth in the pigs feed once a day. It takes almost 1000 pounds to get a pig from weaning to butcher weight so a 20 pound bag per pig from weaning to butcher. Once a month, for a 7 day period, add 2 tablespoons minced garlic and rosemary. http://littlepigfarm.com/natural-worming-for-pigs/

http://sugarmtnfarm.com/2005/10/14/worms-au-natural/ This is a discussion on natural worming. Note that DE should be food grade--the kind used for pools/filter is superheated. Mentioned that if you already have a heavy worm load or a new pig, you may want to chemically worm @ 21 day interval.

Pumpkin Seeds. The hull of the seed contains a chemical that paralyzes the roundworm. You should also have some kind of flush following feeding the seed. (Maybe like pumpkin?lol) Have seen some recommendations that you should grind seeds. Also the seeds need to be raw.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Cricket said:
http://vet.osu.edu/sites/default/files/ 2%29_0.pdf Sheepgirl. Sheep and Goat Parasite Control: A Decison-Making Tool
This starts with pasture management. While it specifically addresses sheep and goats, seems as though it would be a good starting point for any animal. Some questions to ask yourself and places to start!
The premise of this is simple....Pasture Management = Parasite Management.

The biggest thing to remember....Each farm is unique and what works for a neighboring farm may not work for yours.

eta: I went through this course, several online studies and a field day. My notes can be found here .

Back to Nature

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I heard guinea fowl eat a LOT of bugs. Would they be okay for parasite management?

Back to Nature

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
What about chickens? I was told they eat fly larvae from manure. It seems better than using pesticides.

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
Chickens will eat all kinds of little bugs, ticks, flies, etc etc but no animal is going to eat the internal parasites that goat, sheep, cattle etc are prone too.

btw turkeys are excellent for keeping pastures clean of grasshoppers that eat and destroy the pastures.

Back to Nature

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I plan on getting chocolate, bourbon red, and/or midget white turkeys. The websites I was on neglected to mention what the poultry DIDN'T eat.

Tony O

Just born
Reaction score
I heard guinea fowl eat a LOT of bugs.

Yes they do. The best tick control you can get. Great for the livestock area.

What about chickens? I was told they eat fly larvae from manure.

Yes they will, as well as un-digested grain that would normally just go to waste. (saves on chicken feed bill too.) :thumbsup

I plan on getting chocolate, bourbon red, and/or midget white turkeys. The websites I was on neglected to mention what the poultry DIDN'T eat.
They'll eat bugs, grain & seeds, frogs & toads, Mice, and just about anything else. The only thing that I know for sure that they won't eat is what they can't see, or is to big to swallow. :ep

All of the above like and eat grasshoppers. Young ducks are good at chaseing and eating them, but slow down when grown. (Then would be a good time to have them for dinner) :drool :hide Pheasants are the best at eating grasshoppers, but hard to keep around close. However, hand raised jumbo pheasants (if you can find any) will hang around close about like the guineas. The ones I had would eat right out of my hand.

Hope that answered your questions.

:cool:

Back to Nature

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Young ducks are good at chaseing and eating them, but slow down when grown.
What about Muscovies? I was thinking of getting those, because I heard they occasionally eat young mice as well as bugs. Only issue would be flying... I'd have to trim wing feathers.