Parasites!

Anvia

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hallo all,
Firstly many thanks to everyone sharing their experience & knowledge - this forum is a wealth of knowledge! & I’d be grateful for some advice please.

Sooo, my lovely long haired Pygmy billy goat went to a trusted farm to visit their ladies for a month & for various reasons I’ve been a fool & skipped quarantine when he returned - I know! This is all my own fault!

So - he’s got a patch of skin that is clearly itching. He’s scratching & his hair there is matted and falling out & I’m thinking parasite thoughts. His hair isn’t looking as glossy & shiny as before in general, but he’s been fed differently for the last month. Otherwise he’s apparently healthy & in good condition. However on his return I stupidly put him in with his ladies here so I need to treat everyone now. I’m usually obsessive with biosecurity & im kicking myself now! as we have done well (up until now!) on mite control.

We try to manage our beasties with good husbandry (& a lot of garlic!) and don’t routinely give wormers ect. - I don’t think think we’ve ever treated the goats pharmaceutically before & I but I do have sheep meds here that I think are appropriate. I’ve got 0.8% oral ivermectin, 1% injectable ivermectin, food grade d.e., flowers of sulphur, & nu stock. We are in Covid 19 lockdown & so ideally I need to treat them with what I have here rather than expect to be able to buy anything different & our vet is running an emergencies only service.

I have 3 adult Pygmy goats & 1 saanen cross. 2 of the Pygmies are in their final few weeks of pregnancy. I have no clue on their weights other than best guessing & I’m not sure what a very pregnant Pygmy might weigh? I don’t want to stress them out & they aren’t used to intensive handling. They are bucket trained & friendly but not cuddly.

From what I’ve read I’m thinking oral ivermectin, d.e. & sulphur sprinkled in their bedding & nu stock applied topically to the billy where he’s losing his hair & get him back on plenty of garlic in his feed - but I’d be really grateful for advice from those of you with more knowledge and experience! - should I apply ivermectin topically too? I also have maggot oil - is that appropriate? What would you all recommend I do please? Ive never treated the goats for mites before & I’m concerned about correctly dosing my pregnant girls & getting this quickly under control before they kid.

Many thanks!

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
Personally I would separate him him now and treat him first. My Vet gave my goats oral ivermectin.
I would do a deep clean of the bedding and treat the sleeping area with mite and lice spray. Add in pine shavings only as bedding and retreat the area again in ten days. I wouldn't treat the mothers.

Latest posts