Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We had a doeling born with an unknown sire. Has anyone used UC Davis for parentage testing? Any other recommended labs?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I think all parents should be tested... KIDS these days! :rant Oh...wait...wrong subject...:hide;)

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It has been a long time and I am just now getting around to doing this. :hide

The total in my cart at UC Davis is $120 for the parent verification of the doeling with a choice of 2 unknown sires, both not in their system. That is more than I expected and if her sire is not our registered Saanen buck, this will not really be worth the cost, especially as she needs scur removal surgery and has already had a pricy vet visit for respiratory issues. :/

Is there anywhere else I can do this that would be more affordable?

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Are you a member of MDGA?
No, and I don't think the sire is our Nigerian Dwarf. She's 75 pounds now.

Her dam had a buck kid last year from one of the mutt bucks as they ripped through the fencing separating the pens. This year, the doe got over the 4.5 foot fence I think by jumping on a feed bin. She did this after she had been with our Saanen buck that day and I think the day before. Her son was in the pen she jumped in.

I think her sire is either our Saanen buck or her Saanen/mutt half brother (and sire:mad:?) from the year before. I SOOOO regret not neutering him!

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Maybe I should wait until she freshens and if she looks good test her. If she is full Saanen, register her and keep her, and if not sell her as a family milker. :hu

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't believe they have the ability to tell if an animal is purebred yet. They can test DNA and compare samples so that is how they can identify which sire is or is not the father. The tests for me run about $30 each as I am a member of ABGA. If there are only 2 sire options, just have the one you think is the sire tested. If it comes back as negative, then you know it was the other one.