ParMac charger question

julierx1

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We just bought a Par Mac RM1 100 mile fence Charger. It is a 6.6 joule. When we hooked it up today, the digital display on charger is reading 17.5. We thought it could only read up to 16.0 . Does anyone have any experience w/ this charger or know the highest it could possible read if fence is completely clean? The manuel doesnt really say anything about it so I just thought I would throw this out there and see what I can get. Thank Ypu in advance for any input

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have had the same model for several years. Mine only reads 17.2. No problems with mine, so I'd assume yours would be fine. One thing---you won't touch it twice! Neither will your cattle.

that's*satyrical

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
jhm47 said:
I have had the same model for several years. Mine only reads 17.2. No problems with mine, so I'd assume yours would be fine. One thing---you won't touch it twice! Neither will your cattle.
You mean you won't touch it twice on purpose :p

julierx1

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. We didnt know for sure how high it actually would read and have found no material on that subject either. If u are reading 17.2 than we are ok also. What kind of ground rods if any did u use? From the dealer to electrician there is an argument on cooper or galvanized rods. So the ParMac guy told us to use stainless steel wire to galvanized rods. Others say no. Also how far a part did u put them? we put ours 1300 ft apart

goodhors

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We use the galvanized steel rods, 8ft into the damp dirt. You may need to change the
ground rod clamp for the wire, every couple years because of corrosion between
the metal pieces. Also dry ground rods, dry soil, can affect how well they work.
Dumping water buckets or emptying water tanks so they drain over on the ground
rods in dry weather, will help keep the fences hot and working for the animals.

Looking at the online manual, ground rods are spaced a lot closer together than
1300 feet! I read recommended distance apart is 10ft from the first rod near
the charger.

I would do a regular check of the fences, since various weathers can affect how
much "jolt" the fence gives an animal. When our ground is soaked or deep mud,
the charge on the wire is affected and lowered. Could be the wooden posts are
part of the problem, but I do keep my fence meter handy for doing wire checks
about weekly. I do keep my fences REALLY clean, and horses are not as testy of
wire as cattle. Our Parmac charger has done a nice job for us, once we learned
about "watering the ground rods" and keeping the clamps changed out so they
had good contact to the rods and wire.

Here is the manual, should you want to consult it on questions.

http://www.baygard.com/download/Parmak_Energizer_Booklet_English.pdf

julierx1

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
To all og you who use the parma charger, do any of u also have a parmac fence tester? We bought one that should read up to 19.9. We tested the fence but even when our charger is reading 17.7. the tester is bouncing from 10.0 - 13.2 Not sure if i understand how this could be. Can anyone shed any light on this>

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
They all vary to some extent. I have noticed that humidity is one of the most likely causes. Also the type of insulators will cause variations. No insulator is 100% effective, and just slight movements of the wires can cause these changes. Also, with higher humidity the charges will escape slightly. Hope this helps.

julierx1

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Our fence has the rubber tubing insulators. Have u ever tried those and or how do u like them? We are wondering if they are causing problems

woodsie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We have the same charger and wondering if you guys weed wack around the bottom. My grass is starting to grow and touch the bottom wire and wondering if I am going to have to weed wack or if it will kill the grass beneath the wire like some chargers do.

goodhors

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I weed whack under the fence or spray to kill all the vegetation. Don't get the spray
on the wire, it will shorten the life of the galvanizing, cause corrosion.

The charger will burn weeds some, but why waste the paid-for electricity?! My low-impedence
charger just is not made to burn weeds. And using the power up to charge wires
carrying vegetation, just reduces what power is available to the rest of the fence wires.
Pretty soon, those weedy fencelines have almost no power to burn a nosy cow, only
have a "static electicity" feel when you put your hand on them. That works OK with ]
horses who are real sensitive, but not other animals or predators.

I have high-tensile wire, 8 strands with 4 hot, as fencing. So I have a visible and
powered fence, to keep the livestock in their proper fields, inside the farm boundaries.
Keeping the wires clean, no green stuff touching them, is the most effective method
of keeping your livestock respectful and not bothering the wire.

Our fence also uses the tubing insulators. Over the years of having this fence, we have
found the insulators to sometimes crack and "leak electricity" into the wood posts. This
can lose power by almost grounding fence out, or REALLY jolting you by the electric
going into wet dirt, like now.

Not sure which digital fence tester I have, cost about $35, and does a fair job for me.
Now that weather is breaking, I will be going out with tester, to check EVERY SECTION
between the posts, on all 4 wires. I can see where I lose power, look for the reason.
I have replaced some of the tube insulators on the posts. I found some add-on Dare
insulators for High-Tensile wire at the Family Farm and Home Store that work pretty
well, in a clamp form. You can't go back and add tubes, once the wire is strung, unless
the wire is broken someplace. So that is my solution, and the fence does get hot
again. Just have to get the wires off the wood, so the power isn't lost. Part of
the job of "keeping things up" for effective fencing for livestock. Time, weather, all
work to keep you on your toes with hot fences!

I also walk the fencelines with the tester about weekly, to make sure there are no loose
wires, trees down, check the reading at the back wires for keeping it hot. Doesn't take long,
and cheaper than fixing injuries on animals or chasing them!! Good exercise too, with
dogs helping me. I do check the fencer almost daily, to see that it appears to be working.
Had one lightning hit, didn't even know it until a horse got caught in the dead wire! She
got cut, but the smooth wire allowed good healing on the leg and she went back to work
with no problems. She knew the fence was dead, trying to nibble thru to new grass. So
again, I now CHECK THE FENCER daily, as a safety measure, with the weekly line fence
checks for dead wires. Love the tester, save me getting jolted and is a reliable tool.

Latest posts