1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Using Goats to get rid of Mugwort - Discussion Threads
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Pasterella lumps, do you vaccinate?

Discussion in 'Diseases & Injuries - Rabbits' started by promiseacres, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Jun 12, 2018
    promiseacres

promiseacres Herd Master

Yesterday I culled a young bunny b/c she had a lump under her chin. Suspected pasterella... Today I found 4 more just weaned bunnies with lumps....
    I obviously have a problem, would you vaccinate remaining bunnies? or Just keep culling ones with an issue?
    Might look into having one tested....
    @Bunnylady @Pastor Dave Anyone else?

2. Jun 12, 2018
    Pastor Dave

Pastor Dave True BYH Addict

It would be good to know the results, but not sure they can be saved or it's financially feasible. If it's cost efficient to vaccinate, maybe give it shot. Bunnylady would give a much better answer, but I am not sure if she's had much activity here lately.

3. Jun 13, 2018
    mystang89

mystang89 Loving the herd life

I know some people go more on Darwin's theory of survival of the firstfi. Whatever rabbit gets these lumps is succeptible and so there offspring would be as well which isn't something anyone wants. They would call it out. If the animal is more of a pet,vaccinate.

You also need to think about your operation though. Is it a large operation where you can afford to lose a few for the longevity of many or is it small enough to where if you lose those few it will be a huge set back. If so, vaccinate.