Pastor Dave's Highlights

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am looking for recommendations on a smaller dog than the typical 125+Lb LGD that is still good with providing security for the herd, and won't mind staying in a fenced area with access to the barn. I mainly want it to keep predators at bay and not let them freely enter the barn through the same door the goats will have access to; something that doesn't feel it needs a whole pasture or ranch to roam. I am even good with mixed breeds; maybe something that gets 60-80Lbs, and isn't constantly wanting to get inside the house.
Is there something fitting that description?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a female Great Pyrenees that is 67 pounds. She is location bound to her back yard, but will roam in a heartbeat if given the chance. I fondly call her my phsycho bitch, she is on the nutty side. But she loves her family fiercely, protects chickens and sheep and is a champion snake killer. Not all LGD's make the weight range, some are on the small side. Females are usually smaller than the males.

Just don't get a LGD breed crossed with a non LGD breed.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Something that I have thought about doing when we had the other animals....was to allow Gabbie the ability to roam the perimeter and having the pens and yards inside the perimeter fence, would allow her to patrol around the animals without her having access to them.....I never got to be able to try it out before we left....but, that was what my goal was....she never was aggressive with any of them, but wasn't gonna just let her hangout with them....just in case....we shut the animals up at dark, so they were confined.....just something else ya can consider....but, do your research on the right breed...cause it truly does make a difference....there are "exceptions" included in every breed, but don't "bank on" getting one, the odds are against it....go with the breed characteristics and personality traits of the overall breed....it will serve ya much better....:)

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
You need to talk to @Southern by choice about that. She has the 411 on how many and what kind of LGD would be good for small acreage, the personality traits of a dog that makes it tend to be one that stays close to the flock as opposed to one that ranges out from the flock to drive off predators.

If it's just because of the size of your place and such, I'd vote for Anatolians...a smaller dog isn't necessarily the answer to a smaller place. The Anatolians~it is said~have less tendency to range out from the herd.

If I were to ever get another LGD in this life, I'd want a pure Anatolian.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Got a Saturday off today. Yeah! Worked last Saturday, will work next Saturday, and then have Labor Day weekend off. Then, go into a 5 mo, 6 day production schedule until after Super Bowl, because folks need their cheese for Holiday dinners, get-togethers and Big Game parties. It will free back up in late Feb or March. I am trying to groom my family now for the help with chores I will need during Fall and Winter. I keep bugging a nice guy at work that's a few yrs older than me, married but no kids when he has time to take care of his herd of 40 goats and chickens. He evidently doesn't require much sleep, because he bales hay, hunts with his coon dogs, and still attends church in Sunday mornings. He's kinda my current idol.