Pastor Dave's Highlights

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I bet parts will be hard to come by for it, but sure could be an interesting project to use as long as ya can.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what gasoline is best to use in it. The ethanol worries me, and the unleaded of today vs. the leaded of yesteryear. I had someone tell me that they used to say it was ok to put the new gas I existing engines, but not to put the old gas in newer engines not designed for it. Does this sound right? I will have to look up some stuff on a Gravely sight.

LocoYokel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sounds right to me. I never changed my Harley over when gas went to unleaded only, it did NOT run well on the new stuff... They sell an additive to put in unleaded gas for those older engines. Sorry, can't remember what it was called but they sure would know at a local auto store. My bike ran great on it and it wasn't very expensive.

LocoYokel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
20170708_130256-jpg.36518

Turns out it is a 1966 Gravely L series.

Forgot to tell you, that Gravely is ADORABLE! What a deal! :love

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yah, my neighbor is a machinist and constantly taking old tractors and mowers down to the frame, fixing and painting everything back up new. He said it would be nice to get it show status and take it around places. But, I want to work with it, so I hate to make it look real pretty.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Apparently the leaded fuel was much easier to deal with than the oil bath air cleaner. I take the top half of the breather off by removing the wing nut and take out the filter expecting to see oil and a wick or line, but it is dry and there is a round opening in the center abt 1-1/2" to 2" diameter above where it is mounted. There's also an old rope gasket at the bottom, but judging by the opening in the center of the bottom cup, I don't see how it ever held oil. Maybe it was converted to a dry, filter cartridge system sometime along the way?

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
I bet parts will be hard to come by for it, but sure could be an interesting project to use as long as ya can.

Well, Fred you are right. Went 3 outdoor power supply/equipment shops and pretty much got laughed at by the Gravely dealer.
Then, I Googled some stuff, and found GTgravelyparts.com specializing in new parts for antique Gravelys. They had colored pics of parts for everything on their lists. I was looking at all the items I had on my list in color and brand new rendition!

My Dad would have loved to see this thing getting fixed up, and probably would have tinkered on it along the way :) It's amazing to me sometimes, the timing of life that I didn't have or want this project until he was gone, but now can see how he would have enjoyed it when healthy. Just reminiscing, not sad...

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
20170713_150157.jpg

It runs well for 50 yrs old. I am going to get a degreaser and spray it on, let it heat up, and hopefully drip off the gunk so I can see what's underneath. I don't think I want to take the motor out to paint everything, but may decide it's the only way to do it right.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sometimes it is good to have something to tinker with, not to express doubt in your ability or desire to get it into good running condition.....just something new/old/different to learn about and something to get your mind off of the "Run of the Mill" everyday stuff. It surely could be something to work on with your son to make those memories with, that you have of your Dad.....:)