Pastor Dave's Highlights

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
She is doing pretty well, thanks. We went Monday to spend "Labor Day" with her and brought sides to go with my sister's grilled chicken.
The 4th was Mom and Dad's 46th wedding anniversary. Along with food we took a dozen yellow roses arranged in a vase with baby's breath and other green ferny things. Her favorite flowers. We gave her a card that took the place of an anniversary card that said, Thinking of You. It said something to the effect of, The space between the way things are and the way they are meant to be is called Hope. She just smiled and nodded, and showed my sister. We also took her a three month furnace filter and put it in. She said as we were leaving that it made it a much better day for her. It was good for all of us, I think.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had an interesting day today. To tell the truth, I had some spare time and felt the need to hook up the trailer and practice backing--BACKING! We didn't have livestock, a boat, RV, etc growing up and I never got the hang of backing a trailer. I spent an hour picking a spot and trying to hit it, repeat, repeat. I just went slow and steady. I got pretty decent at finding a method using my side mirrors. I am supposed to take the Gravely to a repair guy, and you have to back off the road into his driveway. I am pretty sure now I can nail it!

To get back to some routine normalcy, I have some clover to cut and dry in mesh totes. Then, plan to get some 2-4D broad leaf weed spray for the hay field. In Feb or Mar, I will seed it with some red clover and Timothy to get it ready for next June.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Getting used to and figuring out the pivot point with any trailer is an absolute must.....otherwise, it will jack on ya fairly quickly, especially if ya are used to a certain length trailer and then hook to a shorter one. Also, the placement of the wheels can play a part in it too....:)

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, here in Indiana, we are getting rain from what is left of Irma. It's been dry here, and needed the rain. Would have preferred to have gotten some rain that originated more in the interior of the country than the remnants of a hurricane.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Fall and then winter is just around the corner. I'm sure you must be enjoying cooler nights already. Makes being dry less of an issue as most plants will be getting ready to shut down for the coming seasons.

LocoYokel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
img_0810-jpg.38221

yea it finally let me post the pic. buck is fine, eats good, looks good, acts good. his ears just decided to flop.
Not trying to hijack your thread @Pastor Dave, just catching up and think @goatgurl's buck needs to meet my doe!
20170529_121545.jpg Still no clue why her ears do that at times but would love it if they stayed that way. As she has gotten older (6 months now) they do it less often. Maybe I have straightened them from petting her too much...:oops:

Practicing back-ups with your trailer is a great idea! I pulled my tandem axle 2-horse around for years with no problem so what would be the big deal backing up a 25' single axle? The folk's gatepost and gate, that would be the problem...:hide
Kudo's for practicing safety before getting out there on the road.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have had plenty of tutorial here from friends/farmers and congregation members. But unless I experience it and feel how the physics and geometry affect the hitch and wheels, etc. I can only do so much with instruction. I am good with studying and learning, but I am definitely more hands on, repetitive learning.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
My second grader's math problem today went like this: I am an even, two digit number less than 60. My two digits added together equal 12, and 4 when one is subtracted from the other. I gave him an answer, but am curious what y'all come up with. Does this sound like second grade work?
Thanks, Dave