Pastor Dave's Highlights

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
My shop lights have the wrong fluorescent bulbs apparently. They're not cold weather functioning. Tonight, most were back on and at full strength.
This is usually caused by the ballasts, not the bulbs themselves and even if you can change to a cold weather bulb, the ballast still won't turn the bulb on.
The older magnetic ballast flourescents perform poorly in temps below 40-50F and the ballast will usually have a sticker stating their operating temp.
https://www.hunker.com/13412822/cold-temperatures-and-garage-fluorescent-lighting

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Obviously I'm not @greybeard but MY answer would be: "WITHOUT QUESTION!!!!". I don't know about Indiana but Vermont is big on saving energy. The LEDs are subsidized by a "fee" on our electric bills. They are pretty cheap now, not like when they first came out and cost like $20. Affordable to take functioning (though poorly) CFLs to the store and drop them in the recycle bin. Any store that sells CFLs HAS to take them back for recycling.

I personally only buy 3,000°K or higher bulbs. 5,000°K for the barn and outside lights, it is "daylight" white. I hate the yellow cast of the lower °K bulbs.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was looking at our bird feeder today and saw a couple male cardinals. One was a younger male since his color wasn't quite as vibrant as the other dude. There were a couple females too. Then, out of nowhere a robin showed up. I said, Where did you come from?! We are experiencing a thaw with highs in the 40s, but it is too early in our parts for them. It's usually late February or March before we start seeing them. Hmmm

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have robins that are here year round, but the numbers really increase in the Spring....tho, we are a bit further south of ya, so may or may not be phenomenal.....when the numbers are up they are easier to notice. We have had a first that I know of here this year....we've had a flock of about 500+ snow geese hanging around for several weeks now....they fly back and forth in the fields close by and we see them daily. I have been aware of this area since the mid 80s and have never had them here as they are this year....beautiful birds and I love to watch them fly in their formations....:)

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Two days ago it was in the 50's here, but real windy. Yesterday morning the cool down had began. It went into the 30's overnight and was 31F at feeding time. It was scheduled to get to 5F degs last night and this am, feeling like -7F with windchill. Back to carrying hot water, and using straw for the buns to burrow in for insulation. I have one doe that wants no part of a nest box until she's ready to kindle, and one buck that won't use it for warmth either. My other two does and Jr. buck like them for warmth. I have two grow-out pens that get a flake off the straw bale, and they all huddle together.

When it gets back up above freezing, I rake the straw out and pitch it, literally. Now that it's February, it won't be too long. First 50F day again, will be doing some breeding for March kindling. AND, the yearly process begins anew!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like your weather rollercoaster is nastier than ours. We were just above freezing yesterday and 3°F today. Supposed to be 0°F most of the night, which likely means about -5°F.