Pastor Dave's Highlights

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Did some clean up in the barn tonight before supper. I had decided to try not using catch pans a couple weeks ago to save time. I already have excess that gets shoveled and swept off the floor, so with goats coming in the future and will be on the same floor, figured I would give it a shot. Tonight it appears it is working great. Took 15 mins and no pans to spray out and reline, place back, etc.
20191117_180423.jpg

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
How about making a frame for the area under the cages and with deeper sawdust/shavings, make a composting like area to collect all the rabbit pellets and stuff and only have to clean out when you can get to it? Just keep adding dry material to it and then have some fairly good stuff to add to the gardens in the spring? If absorbent enough, it shouldn't smell.... see some places that have earthworms under their rabbit cages....

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Been a spell since posting. Everyone and everything ok, just long work weeks going into Thanksgiving. Last day of a 4 day weekend. Due to how Christmas falls, I get less days off than Thanksgiving. Have to go back day after, but might be able to squeeze in a personal day on the 26th. Still planning out fencing, a wall in the barn, and stalls. I am thinking now of going with a standard size milk and meat cross goat once I have their homes built. I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and joyfully enters Advent season.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am thinking now of going with a standard size milk and meat cross goat once I have their homes built.

I offer this for your consideration....it's always worked well for me. The larger dairy doe -- Nubian or Saanen or a cross of that. You will get ample, really good milk for table use. Cross that doe with a good Boer buck. You will get the meat added kid and that doe will feed it so well, excellent growth for the kids.

They won't be as stocky as a well bred Boer but, far heavier than the doe (normally) and they grow faster. Heavy milk from does keeps them fed and her at good milk production. Plus, those bigger does can handle the kid size at birth, which is normally stockier than a dairy kid.

Because I have a decent market for goat meat with some local butcher/slaughter facilities, the meat goats sell well. Plus one to harvest for me...LOL. Later in 2020 I plan to add Boer to the farm, again, and I will cover my 2nd freshening dairy does with this buck. Except in years I want pure dairy from one. Then my dairy buck.

If you are already spending the $$ and have the space, I think you may like these results. Of course, depends on what is available in you area.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Tonight I drive I drive in the barn lot and see two does. One was good size. They trotted off and I went inside. When I came out I heard rustling so I stood still and a big buck walked into view. Once I get a spot fixed up to process, next year I stand a good chance to get some venison in the freezer.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ahhhh...fresh meat in a freezer! Nice.

I don't hunt and the deer apparently know it! EVERY evening there is a herd coming out of the woods at back of farm. Foraging the farmer's field next door and my pasture sometimes. I could easily sit on DDs deck and take one down.

IF you hunt, it's always nice to have known areas to harvest. One or two a year is a lot of meat. And the price is EXCELLENT! LOL